4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 10:54 PM by schnook

Table help

schnook

Title

Table help

Hello everyone, am a newbe got thrown in the deep end with this program because i am the most pc literate person at the base, what we have is radio log database linked to a members database, we have a table layout that shows all logged in vessels for the day, problem is we have 3 shifts of volunteers that enter data in the log 6.00 am - 10.00 am, 10.00 am - 2.00 pm and 2.00 pm - 6.00 pm they all have different names and radio numbers, what i need help with is this, the preview only shows the radio opperator and his radio number that first logged on that day, when another shift starts it does not show their name or radio number in the table, Is there any way that we can get the table to show the other opperators name and number after they logon. We are using Win XP pro Service Pk 3 with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced. Am very new to this and need need the answer in dummy terms. Thanks in advance

Regards schnook 

• 1. Re: Table help
          Sorbsbuster

Do you mean that when they log in, Operator A only sees records previously created by Operator A, Operator B only sees records previously created by Operator B, etc?

If that is the case (and I'm assuming the database was created by someone else) then it sounds like it has been set up to behave that way purposely.  Maybe you'd want to think why it was done that way.  Did it 'work' before, in that it functioned differently, or that everyone was happy with only seeing their own records?

The most likely way that it has been to function that way is through File -> Manage -> Accounts and Privileges, with the Privileges of each user set to only let them see records where the CreatorName = AccountName.

Maybe I'm making all the wrong assumptions here.

Alan.

• 2. Re: Table help
            schnook

G'day Sorbsbuster, thanks for the reply, the table is made from a Radio Log layout and everyone uses the same radio log, this table is printed out at the end of every day for our records, it is a view of every vessel that has loged on with us for the day and is where we can see if a vessel has not loged off with us, The way the layout has been done is this, Header contains Company Name, Leading Grand Summary contains Operators Name and Radio Number as well as the Date, (this is where we would like the names and number to change when a different user loges on), the Body contains things like Vessel Name, Vessel Rego, Member Number, Cleared , Position, Remarks, Trailing Grand Summary contains Totals for the day, hope this will help, sorry i don't know the proper terms to use am very new to this 

Regards schnook 

• 3. Re: Table help
              Sorbsbuster

So...:

- all of the Operators can log on

- all of the Operators can log their data

- you can run the report at the end of the day

... but it only shows the first Operator for that day?  Not the other two?

If that is all correct then I have to ask how you run the report for the day.  It seems like all the log-on records are there, but it is only finding one particular operator.

How do you actually run the end-of-day report?

• 4. Re: Table help
                schnook

G'day Sorbsbuster, we print the radio log layout table at the end of every day, but they would like it if it could show all 3 operators for the day as well

Regards schnook