6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 10:35 AM by philmodjunk

Table Name

EdgarRamirez

Title

Table Name

Hello,

I created a table named: "FM Accounts" with a few fields.

When I enter into the Data Viewer the following calculation:

FieldNames ( Get ( FileName ); Get ( LayoutName ) )

The result is empty.

If I change the name of the table to anything else, for example:

FM Account

FM_Accounts

then, FieldNames returns the name of the fields correctly.

Is "FM Accounts" a reserved word or phrase, that can not be used as a name for a table?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Table Name
          philmodjunk

I cannot reproduce what you report using FMP 13.0v4 on a Windows 7 System.

• 2. Re: Table Name
            EdgarRamirez

Hello,

Thanks for your quick replay.

After a bit of digging I was able to reproduce this on a New database and here is how.

Open File --> Manage --> Layouts...

Add a new Folder named: "FM Accounts"

If you look at the Data Viewer, the FieldNames probably disappeared.

If not, change in Manage Layout, both the names of the Layout and the folder to something else, but the same in both, for example "FM Acc". You can leave the table name the same. The FieldNames should disappear from the Data viewer now.

If you play with different combinations of matching or mismatching names between these 3 elements:

Layout Name

Folder name in Manage Layout screen (match the Layout Name)

Table name for this layout

You will see the FieldNames in the Data Viewer coming in and out of the calculation result.

Looks like a bug to me.

Please let me know if you could reproduce this. ( I tried to upload the database, but I can only upload images as far as I can see )

Thanks

• 3. Re: Table Name
              philmodjunk

Bugs should be reported over in Report an Issue where such posts are monitored by TS personnel that work for FileMaker Inc.

Issues when layout folder name and folder name match sounds familiar, but I'm not pulling any current report in the Known Bugs List.

• 4. Re: Table Name
                EdgarRamirez

Before I report this issue, could you confirm that you were able to reproduce this, as well.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Table Name
                  EdgarRamirez

This seems to be related to BugID 211 in the Known Bugs List

What I described is another side effect of the same problem. BugID 211 was reported in November 2010. No resolution after more than 4 years, and it is still showing in FMP 13.

Just remember to not name a folder in Manage Layouts with the same name as a Layout. Looks like more than 1 thing can go wrong.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Table Name
                    philmodjunk

Thanks Edgar, I agree with your analysis. (I enjoy seeing evidence that others are using this tool that I spend a lot of time updating...)