6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 8:20 AM by philmodjunk

Table Occurrence Problem

ChrisJohnston

Title

Table Occurrence Problem

I am trying to understand why a second table occurrence configured the exact same way produces a different result. I would like to know how I can get it to give the same result. Is this because the Many to Many? What do I need to understand first? Could Execute SQL solve this?

occurquestion.png

• 1. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
          philmodjunk

Looks like the field in the right hand portal is from Documents instead of Documents 2.

• 2. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
            ChrisJohnston

You really can quickly get to the bottom of some silly mistakes. I am laughing! My next problem is that I can’t seem to get something to be a Boolean condition for the relationship. Everything I seem to put makes the relationship invalid. Could you suggest a way? I have been using Auto enter Data.

• 3. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
              philmodjunk

But do the fields really have the value 1 in them?

If you create a record first, then define the auto-enter setting, no value will be entered in that existing record.

Does the kf field really have a value that matches the kp field?

• 4. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
                ChrisJohnston

For testing purposes I was forcing it there by populating it. I have a more complex file where it is auto populating. Does it have to happen real time or something? I see the updates to records when I force the number by copying it to the appropriate record.

• 5. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
                  ChrisJohnston

Man you are sharp. I made a manual test and updated all fields to 1 and it seems to be working. I don’t get it though, these fields need to pre-exits? I have learned a good bit of FileMaker in the last 2 months but I definitely may have missed some of this topic.

• 6. Re: Table Occurrence Problem
                    philmodjunk

Auto-enter calcs only kick in when a new record is created or data is modified in a field from the same record that is referenced in the calculation is modified. So if you create the record first, then add a field with an auto-enter calc or add an auto-enter calc to a field already defined, that pre-existing record's field will be empty. Create a new record and you'll see the value auto-entered.

When you want a field to have a constant value that never changes, use a field of type calculation instead of an auto-entered calculation or default value and you will avoid this issue.