5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2009 4:51 AM by LeoB

    Table Occurrences - why on some tables and not on others?

    LeoB

      Title

      Table Occurrences - why on some tables and not on others?

      Post

      I have 9 tables thus far in a file.  Three of the tables I call static as they contain data that can only be changed by the administrator.  The other six I call user as they contain data that will be input and updated by users.

       

      All three static tables have primary keys and all six user tables have three foreign keys pointing to the related primary keys in the three static tables.

       

      With help from this forum I got the first user table set up to properly pull data from the static tables.  All is well there -- works perfectly.

       

      What is strange, and I can't understand, is why TOs are/are not created when I am linking all the tables together.

       

      For example, table USER1 has the three foreign keys in it linked to the primary keys in all three static tables.   Works fine.  In the relationships graph I have the three fk fields in USER1 wired to the three pk fields in the three static table.

       

      Now, when I go to USER2 table and to link them to the static tables I get something odd.

       

      When I link the Static1fk in USER2 to the pk in STATIC1, I get a branch off the same connecting line to USER1.  The same for USER3, etc.  The STATIC1 pk will link to all six Static1fk fields directly.

       

      However, when I link the Static2fk in USER2 to the pk in STATIC2 (which is already connected to USER1), I get a flash screen that requires a TO be created.  I think I understand TOs from all the things I've read here, but why would one be required for STATIC2 when none is requiired for STATIC1?

       

      I hope I'm explaining this properly.

       

      In other words, the primary key in table STATIC1 will link directly to all six user tables without a TO needing to be created.  In my graph I have branches from that key to all tables.

       

      However, the pk in STATIC2 will not do that -- it requires a new TO after the first link to USER1.

       

      Static1 and Static2 are not connected directly in any way.

       

      I did a test file recreating this situation to see if it's something unique in my file.  The same thing happens.  I took a jpg screenshot of the graph, but can't upload it here as I don't have access to a server or website to host it.  If anybody would like to see it, send me a message and I'll e-mail it to you.  It's a small image.

       

      <!-- [if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif] --><!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml>   Normal   0       false   false   false                      MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 </xml><![endif] --><!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif] --><!-- [if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:"";      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif] --><!-- [if gte vml 1]>                         <![endif] -->