2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 4:46 AM by JoelMG

Table Occurrences Misery

JoelMG

Title

Table Occurrences Misery

I would like to write a database that keeps track of students and teachers from schools who attend events.  Our medical school outreach office holds events for area students and teachers.

I have this relationship:  Districts - Schools - Teachers - Events.  So far, so good.

The same Events table occurrence also has Students attached.  (It also has other personnel table occurrences attached - Staff, Admins, etc; this seems to work fine.  I have join files for each personnel type going into Events.  Works fine.  I've attached the relationship chart; the yellow occurrences are the linker files.)

Now, I want to link Students back up to Schools, since the Schools can provide both Teachers and Students for Events.  But I can

not - the program won't let me.  I suppose this is because it creates a circle of relationships (Schools - Teachers - Events - Students - Schools), which is not allowed.

For the final outcome, I would like to go into a Schools layout and see data in portals from Teachers AND Students (at a given school) who have participated in Events.

I tried making a 2nd table occurrence of Schools (I duplicated the School layout) to link up to Students, but the data in the fields of the Table do not populate the 2nd table occurrence.  I don't understand this.    So I have two questions:

(1) Why don't the data in the fields of the school TABLE populate both table occurrence layouts, since they are both from the same table?

(2)  Is there any method to have a School layout showing both Students AND Teachers that attend an Event?

I've been messing with this for days.  I'm a beginner.  Thanks.  Joel

Screen_Shot_2011-08-26_at_6.50.41_PM.png

• 1. Re: Table Occurrences Misery
          JoelMG

After more reading tonight I think I know the answer to my first question:  Data (i.e., contents of fields) aren't really connected with the "base table", but are connected only to a single table occurance.  That is why the data from the first Student table occurrence did not transfer to the second Student occurrence upon its generation.

But I'm still looking for a way to connect schools with both students and teachers.  I think I need to set up a relationship between schools, students and teachers which is independent of events (by making another set of table occurrences), thus not allowing a closed loop.    Joel

• 2. Re: Table Occurrences Misery
            JoelMG

After still more reading, I solved this.  I now understand that a table occurrence is just a window on the data through the relationships.  Once I made the proper table occurrences and relationships, this worked like a charm!! Now to get some rest!  Joel