1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

Table Relationship Question

dg3321

Title

Table Relationship Question

I have a table with projects from 2010 and a table with projects for 2011.  I have set the project names for each table to equal each other in a relationship.  I have also set certain basic information on the 2011 table to equal it's 2010 equivalent (as a related field).  Certain projects from 2010 will continue into 2011.  On the 2011 table when i enter the project name, the related fields then are set with the correct information from the related fields in 2010.

Here is my question: How can i set this up so i am allowed to create new projects in the 2011 table.  It won't allow me to do this b/c of the related fields i have set.  I can, however create new records when i check the 'allow creation of new records via this relationship' in the 2010 field relationship settings.  The only problem is that then all of the new projects for 2011 are now appearing in the 2010 table.

Is there a way around this?

• 1. Re: Table Relationship Question
          philmodjunk

It would be better to put all your records from 2010 and 2011 in the same table. When you reach 1012, do you plan to add yet another table to your database?

The individual records should have a field for the year or just a date field will also work so that you can use finds, sort orders, and such to pull up the desired group of records.

That way you don't have any projects that start in one table and continue in another.