AnsweredAssumed Answered

Table versus Value List

Question asked by BrianClemens on Aug 13, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 by BrianClemens

Title

Table versus Value List

I currently use both...I'm just wondering how much my file size will grow based on usage of each.

In using a table (at least what I remember from the one Access class I took) the data is simply "redisplayed" for each record.  Does a value table physically store the data in that record?

For example: Let's say I have an inventory listing for widgets and there are 4 colors for each widget.  If I use a table for the colors, does the data just display in each record, not actually adding anything to the file size?  If I have that data in a value list...is it physically getting put into each record, thus increasing the file size?

Value List: If I have 100 widgets and each color is a byte.  Does the file grow 100 bytes (for each time a color is listed)

Table: If I have 100 widgets and each color is a byte, then it only adds (4) bytes, since it is just redisplaying the data?

It may not even matter since my file size will never really be that big...I just want to make sure over the years it stays that way.  It is speedy right now and I don't want it to ever lose that speed.

Outcomes