1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 10:04 AM by philmodjunk

tables

brucewashington

Title

tables

Hello,

I am building a database, a very simple one to fill in mail merges.

The first thing after the contact information is that I will have up to five additional people signing on each document from two different categories (one category is for witnesses and one category is for signers).  These will change for the different documents so Joe might be a signer on one and a witness on another.

My question is this: should I create multiple databases to do this or just one. 

My goal is to just be able to type in a name for a witness and have all their info (address, numbers, etc.) appear in the fields for them and then to be able to export it to word for the merge.

Thanks for help on this.

Bruce

• 1. Re: tables
          philmodjunk

Create some new tables (not databases :smileywink: ) for your database.

Table 1, Documents:

Document ID and other fields

Table 2, People:

PersonnelID, Name, etc.

Table 3, Signatures

DocumentID (to match with Documents table)

PersonnelID (to match with People)

Type (signer or witness)

You'll need to create relationships that link these three tables and layouts that use these layouts to display the data you need to do what you want.

Speakerbruce, I could be wrong but it sounds like creating a database is a new thing for you. If so, I suggest you prepare to spend some time reading up on databases, completing a tutorial or otherwise educating yourself on how to design databases and specifically how to do it with Filemaker Pro.

We'll help you all we can, but some basic study on your part can greatly speed up the process for you.