1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 1:04 PM by TSGal

Tables vs. Files

scottm

Title

Tables vs. Files

I am fairly new to Filemaker and I am looking for some advice about the design of an inventory / rental database I am setting up.

The database is essentially set up to do a few things

1) track purchases by PO & Invoice #'s

2) keep an record of the school's equipment assets

3) keep track of rentals to outside clients

4) keep track of student's & faculty borrowing equipment for classes & projects

5) keep track of service done to assests in the database.

What I am wondering is does it make sense from a performance standpoint to keep this all as one large file with relational tables, or to keep them as separate files which reference to each other?  I expect that there will be several thousand individual assest entered in eventually as well as a few dozen rental / borrows per week.  From a structural standpoint, I don't think it matters, but as the number of records add up and the file becomes very large, does will the database slow down if it is all one file?

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Tables vs. Files
          TSGal

Scott:

Thank you for your post.

Having everything in one file will make things quicker, as everything is referenced in one place.  However, some users may use a customer table with a different application, so having it as a separate file may be useful.  The speed difference is negligible.

The database file size is limited by the operating system.  If you plan to have a database file that is going to exceed 8 terabytes, then you may want to split the tables into separate files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.