5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 1:42 PM by philmodjunk

Tabs

grocha

Title

Tabs

Im trying to create a page that has multiple tabs how can i seperate each tab to be its own. When i click new record every tab creates a new clean document i want each tab on working on to be its on individual record. 

• 1. Re: Tabs
          philmodjunk

That's simply not how tab controls are designed to work in filemaker. An entire tab control is part of a layout that refers to one record. You can, however, display lists of related records in each tab using portals.

Describe how you want to use your tabs and why. Perhaps we can suggest an alternative approach.

• 2. Re: Tabs
            grocha

I have 6 closeout forms each one in a tab. Depending on job type i choose closeout form. Im trying to keep it all in one to make it easier on techs. Maybe creating buttons instead of tabs?

• 3. Re: Tabs
              philmodjunk

What is the difference between the close out forms? You may be able to use the same record for all 6 types of forms and just put the relevant fields in each tab, but for the same record.

You could also use drop downs or buttons to switch to completely different layouts if you wish.

• 4. Re: Tabs
                grocha

Different closeouts so it would not work. I guess its back to drawing board. 

• 5. Re: Tabs
                  philmodjunk

I don't know what you mean by "different close outs". Different dates? Different people? Different records?

There are ways to do this with tabs, but it may not be the simplest nor best design approach. This is a case where you know your "business model" and what these 6 forms represent and I don't.