4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 11:12 AM by BenPlatt

Tabs not working.  Help please? :(

BenPlatt

Title

Tabs not working.  Help please? :(

Hey all,

I'm following the "Creating a tab control" in the Filemaker Pro 11 Missing Manual.  I've followed the steps to the letter and my tabs are not working. 

I have 3 tabs: General, Payment, and PDF.  Clicking from one to the next in Layout mode does nothing.  I added the stuff to the general tab like the tutorial says, and when I click on Payment and go to add the stuff to the payment tab, it just deposits everything on top of what I thought I had added to the General tab.  There is no new blank space to put stuff when I click on Payment.  Nothing happens when I try to go from General to Payment in Browse mode either (everything that I put on the general tab remains visible).

What gives?  What am I doing wrong?  I've done nothing but follow the tutorial so I don't know what the problem is. 

• 1. Re: Tabs not working.  Help please? :(
          philmodjunk

First, make sure that no part of the tab control touches or crosses the boundary between the body layout part and the header layout part.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please report back. When you do so, make very clear exactly what you are doing in Layout mode and exactly what you are doing in browse mode. "Put stuff" doesn't really tell us much as that "stuff" could be fields, layout text, buttons or.... added in layout mode or it could be text entered/selected in fields while in browse mode.

• 2. Re: Tabs not working.  Help please? :(
            BenPlatt

Hey,

Thanks for responding, and unfortunately, that has not done anything (the tab control isn't near the header :().  Rather than just try to describe it to you guys, it'd probably just be best to show you a picture. 

General tab selected in layout mode: http://img849.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110315at556.png/

Payment tab selected in layout mode: http://img12.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110315at556.png/

General tab selected in Browse mode: http://img714.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110315at556.png/

In browse mode, just like in layout mode, when I click the payment tab...the fields I had moved back to the general tab do not "disappear."  They remain visible.  I don't know what I did wrong...I followed the tutorial, moved all of my fields over to the far right (past the dotted vertical border line) to make the tab control.  I try to move them back and that's what I get. 

• 3. Re: Tabs not working.  Help please? :(
              philmodjunk

The only dotted vertical line that I see in your screen shots is the line that marks the edge of the printable area and this has nothing to do with the borders of the tab control. When you click the tab control while in layout mode, you should see small black squares appear at the corners of the tabl control. In order for an object to be contained by a tab in the control, you must first select the tab, then position the object inside these squares.

You can confirm that an object is part of a tab control by entering layout mode and dragging the tab control a small distance. If the object is contained within the control, it will move with it. If it is not, it will not move.

• 4. Re: Tabs not working.  Help please? :(
                BenPlatt

Thank you, sir.  You are a life saver.  What the missing manual neglected to mention was having to expand the tab control to make the space for the fields.  Everything works now! :)