1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 12:05 PM by philmodjunk

tabs, portals and nested portals

jhc

Title

tabs, portals and nested portals

Hi All - thanks very much for your help.

I'm continuing my Lakes-Nets/Traps-Catches database. The old version seemed to work and now emboldened, I'm trying to improve things. 

I am trying to put the lake info on one page, then have a series of tabs that will hold the related information. Within each tab will be a portal for the related table. But within that portal will be a nested portal. So as an example one lake will have one or more than one net being set. that net will catch between zero and many fish which the biologists want to store info about. 

I'm just on the first tab and running into a problem. After entering lake data nothing shows up in the net sites tab. Do I need to create a button to start that? Should the button be outside of the tab (where I have currently placed it)? Do I need to copy the primary/foreign keys over to the table as part of that button? 

I've posted my fmp file to ftp://ftp.geobc.gov.bc.ca/publish/Regional/Surrey/FishForms/ if you're able to take a look for me that would be great.

any help would be very much appreciated

- helpless newbie. 

• 1. Re: tabs, portals and nested portals
          philmodjunk

But within that portal will be a nested portal.

Sorry but nested portals are not possible in FileMaker. You'll need to figure out a different layout design in place of that.

On possible approach is to set up a list view layout based on Nets with fields from Lake placed in the header. Then a portal in the body can show the catch for each net.

In place of different tabs for each "outer portal" you'd have a different list view layout based on that portal. In some fileMaker databases, developers have been able to place buttons in the header of such layout that look like file tabs but that actually change layouts--creating the illusion that the user is interacting with a tab control when they are not actually doing so.