3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 3:08 PM by philmodjunk

Tabular report

NevilleTurner

Title

Tabular report

Sorry if this has been covered else where, but I am trying to generate a report that will give me data sorted in both the x and y axis

Eg data has to fields, Branch and Eligibility. There may be up to 30 possible entries into each field, and I want to generate a report that gives me specific count in the matrix

E1      E2     E3 .....

B1       10       8       6
      B2        6        10     5
      B3      11       5         0

etc

Is there a simple way to achieve this? I know I can get them sorted in a report in the form

B1
          E1  10
          E2  8
          E3  6
      B2...

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Tabular report
          philmodjunk

You can get the format you describe, but it comes with a key limitation: the number of columns will not be dynamically flexible. If you get more values for E than you have columns defined for your layout, you won't be able to see all of the values of E at the same time.

There are several ways to set up such a cross tab type report. A common one is to use a list view layout with a row of single row portals producing the columns of data. You may be able to use a simple "horizontal portal" approach where each portal is just set up with a different initial row setting in portal set up or you may need to use a portal filter expression that selects for a specific value. (It depends on whether there is a significant left to right order needed for your columns of data.)

There are other methods possible that also produce the same results such as calculation fields using Execute SQL or a series of relationships to multiple occurrences of the same table. (To get rid of the portal filter expression which can sometimes slow down your layout updates.)

• 2. Re: Tabular report
            NevilleTurner

Thanks for that. I was hoping for the dynamic solution but the values of E are fixed so I will investigate the portal option.

• 3. Re: Tabular report
              philmodjunk

It is somewhat possible to get a dynamic number of columns, but doing so can get pretty hairy. You can use a script to build a table in HTML and use the web viewer to display it, for example.

With portals, you can also pick and choose a particular range of "E" values to put in the columns. Say, as an example, each value of "E" represents a different month of the year. You could set up 6 portals and pick and choose what range of months, years to show in your columns....