3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

Tag a Record in a List when comparing to another list.

DavidKlein

Title

Tag a Record in a List when comparing to another list.

Hi!

I have a list of e-mail addresses that is about 10,000 e-mail adresses. (We can call this the Main List)

I will be getting short lists of e-mail addresses that another part of the company e-mailed something to. (We can call this the Short List)

I will then want to tag each of the records in the Main List that the person was mailed to a specific named mailing. If the persons e-mail in teh Short List, was not allready on the Main List, then I will want to add his e-mail address to the Main List at that time.

What is the simplest way for an advanced beginner of FMP to do this?

Thanks!

dk

• 1. Re: Tag a Record in a List when comparing to another list.
          philmodjunk

If you import your short list into a table that's separate from your Main List table, you can link the two tables by Email address fields in your relationship graph. Then, on a layout based on your short list table, anyone not already in the Main List table will show an empty email field in the related Main List table.

You can pefrom a find to isolate these records by entering an * in this field while in find mode and selecting the Omit option.

In a script:
          Go To Layout [Short List]
          Enter Find Mode []
          Set Field [Main List::EmailAddress ; "*" ]
          Omit Record
          Perform Find[]

• 2. Re: Tag a Record in a List when comparing to another list.
            DavidKlein

@PhilModJunk

Thank you for your reply.

Forgive my dumbness.

Can you point me to how to "import your short list into a table that's separate from your Main List  table"

and also can you point me to how to "

"link the two tables by Email address fields in your relationship graph"

then how do I

make a "layout based on your short list table"

Thank you so much!

If someone wants to e-mail me at dk (at) purposeinc.com to show me how to do this, I am happy to pay for your time.

Thank you so much!

Much Love,

dk

• 3. Re: Tag a Record in a List when comparing to another list.
              philmodjunk

No need to charge for something that simple. ;-)

"...how to "import your short list into a table that's separate from your Main List table"
              Go To Manage | Database | Tables, enter a table name such as "ShortList" and click create. Click the fields tab and define a field to match each field you need to import for this. (Might be just your email field, though I'd import at least a name field to double-check my matching. Creating a new table also creates a new layout with the same name as the table. To import data into this new table, select this "ShortList" layout and then choose Import Records from the field menu.

While still in Manage | Database, click the relationships tag and drag from your original email field to the email field in your new short list table. This links the two tables by email address fields.