5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 9:16 AM by philmodjunk

TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD

JolynLorenzetti

Title

TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD

Hello,

I am trying to import the client 'tags' for this list of 544 records (in excel), but I can only figure out how to import one client tag. Does anyone know how to import more than one client tagging per record? I would like to import two for each person on this list.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Jolyn

• 1. Re: TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD
          philmodjunk

What is the structure of your data (Both in the excel file and your database)?

Since this is an excel file, you have rows and columns of data that will be imported into records and fields in the FileMaker target table.

Are the tags in separate columns, a a list in a single cell, listed in separate rows?

What format is needed for these tags in your database table? You may want to carefully consider how they are to be used before deciding on the best design in your database--and that choice can affect how you'd go about importing them. Your list of "client tags" might best be imported into a related table.

• 2. Re: TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD
            JolynLorenzetti

I am using an excel file, and I put in columns both for 'client tagging' and 'client ID.' It only allows me to import one tag and erasing the other when I try to do the other tag. Our database has a section for each contact page for 'client tagging' and there are different names next to boxes where you check it off, and they each have IDs assigned to them. So I created these columns, and it worked but only for one client, not both.

• 3. Re: TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD
              philmodjunk

Do you have a separate field in the Filemaker target table for every column of data in your Excel file?

During import every row will import as a separate record in FileMaker. Every column must import into a different field of that record.

What import options are you specifying?

Add records or one of the matching options?

• 4. Re: TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD
                JolynLorenzetti

well they are existing records now, I just added the phone numbers (thank you- you were write about the 'show all'), but now i want to tag 2 clients for each f them and I dont know how. I have done it before for ONE client (i used client ID number and client name in different columns). But I cant seem to import TWO tags for each record.

• 5. Re: TAGGING MULTIPLE CLIENTS PER IMPORTED RECORD
                  philmodjunk

I still do not know what format your "tags" take in the excel file nor what method you intend to use to "tag" the records in FileMaker.  There are multiple ways this could be set up so I need to know that before I can suggest a solution.