11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 2:42 PM by TSGal

Takes a long time to open

tstanczyk

Title

Takes a long time to open

I'm using FileMaker Pro 6 and for some reason lately, it's taking forever to open.  I've tried reinstalling, but nothing changes.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Takes a long time to open
          mrvodka
             Is it for a particular set of files? If so you may have corruption in them. Have you tried a new file to eliminate that possibility?
          • 2. Re: Takes a long time to open
            philmodjunk

Made any recent changes to the location where the files are stored?

Not sure if this would affect FMP 6, but with some versions, FMP may be having trouble resolving an exteral data reference (a link to another filemaker file). These references are "layer cakes" of possibly multiple file paths. When filemaker can't find a file via the path in the first "layer" it tries the next layer down and so forth. With some versions of Filemaker, it can take a significant amount of time to determine that a given path is invalid and switch to the next path listed in the reference. Since your FMP 6 database may consist of many files with many such references, a change in location might result in delays while filemaker finds/opens each such referenced file.

• 3. Re: Takes a long time to open
              tstanczyk
                 Even if I just open Filemaker Pro application, it takes forever to open now.  I was just going to create a new file and export everything from my old file, but it's taking forever just to open Filemaker, like almost 2 minutes.
              • 4. Re: Takes a long time to open
                tstanczyk
                   Also, being new to this forum, I clicked on options to see what it was, and it's now showing my problem was solved. It's not.
                • 5. Re: Takes a long time to open
                  tstanczyk
                     Also, being new to this forum, I clicked on options to see what it was, and it's now showing my problem was solved. It's not.
                  • 6. Re: Takes a long time to open
                    mrvodka
                       Can you install the app on another box to see if you have the same issue?
                    • 7. Re: Takes a long time to open
                      davidanders

OS and version?

Lots of fonts?

Do you do monthly maintenance? 

• 8. Re: Takes a long time to open
                        tstanczyk

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

No, I don't have a lot of fonts.

I defrag from time to time when I see fragmentation building up.

Here's the thing.  I had to reformat my hard drive and when I put my applications back on, it was OK again.  I ended up going back to backup I had of everything earlier with Ghost, and this was where it was running slow.  I wanted to go back because there were a lot of downloads I had that I couldn't get back after I reformatted.  I was hoping I could straighten this thing out with Filemaker when I went back because I don't understand why.  It's not just the file I open, even if I just open Filemaker, it takes a really long time to open.  I've reinstalled Filemaker and it doesn't make any difference.  All my other applications run fine, it's only Filemaker that I'm having problems with.  It's not from the backup, it was running slow and didn't start to be normal again until I reformatted, but all my other applications run OK, so I don't know why it's just this one application that I'm having problems with.  You would think a reinstall would do it.

• 9. Re: Takes a long time to open
                          TSGal

tstanczyk:

Thank you for your posts.

Restoring from a backup restores all previous settings.  Since the error continues, it is not the disk fragmentation but something in the settings. 

Try creating a new user account.  Log in to the new user account and launch FileMaker Pro.  Does the performance issue still occur?  If not, then something is corrupt with your original user account.  If the problem continues, then there is something in the OS that FileMaker does not like.  When FileMaker loads, it lists what is loading at the time.  What is displaying when it is taking a long time?  Fonts?  Initializing?  This is important.

Please continue to keep us updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Takes a long time to open
                            tstanczyk
                               Wow.  That was really something.  Went and switched users account to Guest and tried FileMaker Pro, and lo and behold, it opened right up, so you're on to something here.

Went back to my regular account (which is adminstrative too) and tried, and it was back to taking forever again to open.  It's displaying Initializing when it hangs.

Hopefully you can figure out what I need to do, because for the first time I feel we're getting close.  Thanks!!

• 11. Re: Takes a long time to open
                              TSGal

tstanczyk:

Sorry for the late reply.

Run msconfig, and stop all non-Microsoft services.  Try launching FileMaker Pro.  Any difference?  If so, then one of the services is causing a problem.  You'll have to do some further sleuthing to find out what it is.

If it still takes a long time to launch, then there is something in that user account that is slowing down the launching of FileMaker Pro (and perhaps other applications).

I know it has been awhile, so if you have already found a solution, please post here so that others can also benefit should they run into a similar problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.