2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

Taking it to a new level -- Improving the automation

TKnTexas

Title

Taking it to a new level -- Improving the automation

The other problem I can not get passed is use of variables.  During the course of using the database app I have created there are five spooled reports (text files) that are imported to provide source data.  These are created in our accounts payable software.  There are strict name guidelines when performing tasks there. 

There are three of us that could perform the functions.  I can capture this from the user name when we log in.  I have a menu when the databaswe is opened.  It performs the function of helping to guide the process along.  So based on the menu option selected I can create the file name to be imported, i.e. the PO report option would be potoap022912.apth for the PO report today by thill.  I can create the name in a global or a $$variable.  What I can not do is script the import. I get file not found.

The same is true for the one export that is with a variable name.  I can create the name, but when I try to export I get "unable to create file".

Currently when I do the import for end of day AP closing, after I manually find the file I can import it, parse it, export a CSV file that uses a fixed name to overwrite yesterday's file, move data from working table to the archive table, create the summary report of batch numbers, export them to a temp file and import them to the batch.table, create a report of invoices over $1000 in descending order and then export the all invoices from the working table to the archive table.  I have impressed myself.

But if I can automate the import and exports I will be happiest with the process.

Thomas Hill