13 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 8:14 AM by philmodjunk

Taking specific records from solution

MikeProcopio

Title

Taking specific records from solution

I have a scouting database. One of the tables tracks past NBA Drafts. I have a field that charts servicable/not serviceable as far as the player's concerned. If I was looking at 10 drafts and wanted to take the latest pick in each draft that was serviceable is that possible?? Does that question even make sense??

• 1. Re: Taking specific records from solution
          philmodjunk

Hi Mike

How is the data structured? Are all 10 drafts player records in the same table of the same file?

What data in that table identifies the "latest pick"?

• 2. Re: Taking specific records from solution
            MikeProcopio

Phil,

Great hearing from you my friend!!

So I have basically the last 15 years or so of NBA drafts. Originally I thought I made a table specifically for drafts but that wasnt the case. I basically I have firleds for Draft Year, Round, and Pick.  II want to create a field like I said that has serviceable player/not serviceable and be able to list in each draft the latest pick where there was a serviceable player selected Basically to show that there is value in selecting players late in drafts and get good players

Sounds touh but thats just because I'm not too bright

• 3. Re: Taking specific records from solution
              philmodjunk

I'm intrigued that you seem to want this for past drafts as well as the current one. Or am I misunderstanding?

The latest pick will have the largest value in Round. Thus, you can perform a find for "servicable" players  and sort them by year and round in descending order. The player that's the most recent pick will be listed first in the found set. If you just want to see this for a specific draft, specify the year as part of your find criteria.

• 4. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                MikeProcopio

Phil,

I'm sorry thought I told you. Dallas Mavericks was the team. Have been here for a month it's been very good so far.

As far as the question for the Database. I want to show the front office here the last 15 years of Drafts or so the latest pick that had value as an NBA player. In the Draft there are 60 picks. over 2 rounds 30 picks per round. I want to show them the latest pick that actually made an NBA team and did ok. Usually teams are only interested in the first round because those guys usually do well and dont have much interest in their second round pick. I would like to have a filtered list or Portal what have you that lists every draft that I enter and the latest pick that was "serviceable".

• 5. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                  philmodjunk

Do you have a field that can tell you where in the draft order their pick came? You'll need that.

I think we'll need to pull up a found set of all serviceable players, sort them by Draft, then by round/pick to put the most recently drafted/servicable player for each draft first for that group of players. Then use a looping script to loop through and omit player records that didn't sort to the top of their group of records.

That will then "winnow down" your list to just those that you want.

• 6. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                    MikeProcopio

Yes I have specific fields for draft

I remember we spoke of this and going back and forth to see if I should start a new table for Draft or not, for some reason we came up with the idea that to have fields on the main table for players.

So on the main player table I have for fields:

Draft Year

Draft Round

Draft Pick

Draft Team

Serviceable/not( which means if they had a productive NBA career or not)

• 7. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                      philmodjunk

So if you sort by:

Draft Year
                           Draft Round
                           Draft Pick

in descending order, after performing a find for serviceable players (Or you may want to look at all players...) the most recently drafted player will list first in the found set.

But I had another idea you may want to pursue:

Create a table where you have one record for each year's draft, or possibly one record for each year and round of the draft. Use this table in a relationship that matches to players to see which players were drafted in a given draft or round of a given draft. Then you can use either a portal filter, portal sort order or a sort order on the relationship to see which players were most recently drafted in either a given year or a given round of a given year's draft.

This would elminate the need of a looping script to drop out the players you don't want listed because they weren't the most last one drafted in a given draft year.

• 8. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                        MikeProcopio

OK so I create a table for the 1999 Draft all the way through to the 2012 Draft and I match the Primary key and have an F Key on the player table? 

So I would have a record for every draft and just select a player in that record?? Not sure what to do on this. THere are roughly 800 players selected in the drafts of the past 15 years, do I have to re enter some if not al of this info??

Thanks Phil, Appreciate the help as usual

Mike

• 9. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                          MikeProcopio

Phil,

I an probably make records of each draft and then have portals for 1st and second round. I've already entered all of the data as far as their career projection etc, and can display that data on the draft tables it seems like. For example for players that were failures and ones that made it. THan I can just make a portal for the latest pick that ended up being ok. Wow great , let me try it.

• 10. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                            MikeProcopio

Phil,

OK worked perfectly!!!

Now here is a question for each draft I have a portal telling me the last pick in the draft that had a good NBA player on it. How would I get this in report form where it will give me a list of the latest pick in each draft that had a good NBA player on it rather than just 1 per draft?  Any chance??

• 11. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                              philmodjunk

Isn't "the latest pick in each draft" one player per draft?

• 12. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                                MikeProcopio

Yes I have it in the draft Table by putting a 1 row table , so that's a cool feature. I just wanted a way to list all drafts and just that 1 pick in one report. Now on the player's table is where I put all the draft information originally before creating the draft table I have a layout that I can easily just create a field that has Last Pick With Value. Now you may say that it's a waste because it can change, but usually it doesnt, and if it does meaning in 2007 NBA Draft today the #45th pick is the latest pick that was a good NBA player and a year from noe the player drafted 50th ends up the best, well then it is a 5 second process to change that and it rarely happens especially the lter in time that you get away from a draft.

• 13. Re: Taking specific records from solution
                                  philmodjunk

So a list view layout based on your new table with one record per draft should also produce such a list of players if I understand what you want and what you have set up.