1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 8:15 AM by TSGal

Tape Log DB / Check Box / Searching

ChrisB

Title

Tape Log DB / Check Box / Searching

Background on project.......

Tape Log Layout

User Logs all of the tape data (Description, Serial Number, TC In, TC Out, Tape Length, Comments, and Categorys)

Every one of those fields are entered via text boxes, except for Categorys which is several check boxes.

After the user enters all of the information I need them to be able to search all of the records.

I understand how the search function works for the most part but I am unsure about how to proceed with categorys. It is completely possible that a user will just check a few checkboxes and expect to see the results.

Can someone please share with me how this works?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Tape Log DB / Check Box / Searching
          TSGal

Chris B:

Thank you for your post.

A Checkbox field stores many values in a field.  Suppose the Category field has the checkbox values:

Rock

Jazz

Classical

If you go into Find Mode and put a check next to "Rock", it will find all records where "Rock" is checked.  If you put a check next to "Rock" and "Jazz", it will find all records where "Rock" AND "Jazz" are checked.  To find records where either "Rock" OR "Jazz" are checked, go into Find Mode, put a check next to "Rock", pull down the Requests menu and select "Add New Request", put a check next to "Jazz", and then press Return.  You will then find all records where "Rock" is checked OR "Jazz" is checked OR BOTH.

This should give you a good start.  Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.