4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 9:08 AM by TylerNelson

Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files

TylerNelson

Title

Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files

When I go File - Import Records - File and select a .tab or an excel file to import into any database, I only have 1 "Target" table (Current Table) available to import into. All of the rest of the tables (related and unrelated) are greyed out. I used the Filemaker Pro free trial on my Mac and never had this problem, but now that I've purchased the software for Windows I'm having this issue with imports. For example, if I create a new empty Database and create a few random tables the same thing happens when I try to import tables. I don't think I should need Filemaker Pro Advanced to perform this function... But who knows... Anyone??? Please!

• 1. Re: Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files
          LaRetta_1

Have you tried making sure that you are sitting on a layout which matches the table occurrence of your target?

• 2. Re: Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files
            TylerNelson
            Yes... However, when I try switching layouts in the blank database I was using to test this, I CAN import into the table I'm in. Shouldn't you just be able to select any table? The file I'm still having trouble with is a template that's part of the VTC tutorial. So maybe there's a security setting in it that will only allow me to import into 1 table, nomatter what layout I'm in. I'm simply walking through the steps in the tutorial, and I get stuck on the import step.
            • 3. Re: Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files
              philmodjunk

You can only import into the table referred to by "Show Records From" in Layout Setup... for your current layout. To import into a different table, you must first select a layout that refers to it. It's possible that your VTC tutorial file has several layouts that all refer to the same table. If so, switching layouts won't change the target table listed for you.

You may need to enter layout mode and then pull down the layout menu to see the full list of all layouts created in the file as some may be hidden from you while in browse mode. It's even possible that you will have to first create a layout that refers to the table before you can import your data if you can't find a layout already defined that refers to your target table. (This is unlikely, but possible as you do not have to keep a layout in your database for every table defined in it.)

• 4. Re: Target Tables greyed out when trying to import files
                TylerNelson

Selecting "Show Records From" worked... I guess all of the Layouts were referring to the same table. Thanks!!!