3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 12:13 PM by philmodjunk

Taxable Line Items  ::  A new Challenge...

paintboothguy

Title

Taxable Line Items  ::  A new Challenge...

Good Morning All, 

Our invoicing and sales tax calculations have been running along smoothly until...

My partner tried to generate an invoice wherein some of the products (line items in a portal) needed to be non-taxable.

Currently the method for calculating sales tax at the bottom of an invoice is:

Case (Tax Checkbox = "Taxable" ; 

Round ( All Invoices::Sub Total * All Invoices::Sales Tax Rate LU; 2 ) ; Tax Checkbox = "Not Taxable" ; 0)

FYI, the field <All Invoices::Sub Total> refers to:

<Sum ( Line Items::Extended Retail Price )>

So here is the dilemma:  The formula above will calculate sales tax for ALL line items present in the portal.

Can anyone suggest a method to mark line item amounts as 'taxable' or 'not-taxable', then sales tax could be calculated using a 'taxable total' field instead of the sub total field.

....or maybe this approach is wrong; I'm not sure.

Thanks!

-Andrew

• 1. Re: Taxable Line Items  ::  A new Challenge...
          philmodjunk

You can usually identify which items are taxable in your products table so that the line items taxable status is looked up along with the price and other data.

You can have two calculation fields defined in lineitems: cTaxableAmt and cNonTaxableAmt

cTaxableAmt

If ( TaxableFlag = 1 ; Extended Retail Price ; 0 )

cNonTaxableAmt

If ( TaxableFlag = 0 ; Extended Retail Price ; 0 )

Now your invoice total looks like:

Round ( Sum ( LineItems :: cTaxableAmt ) * All Invoices::Sales Tax Rate LU + Sum ( LineItems :: cNonTaxableAmt ) ; 2 )

• 2. Re: Taxable Line Items  ::  A new Challenge...
            paintboothguy

Phil, 

Thanks for your response last week.  I've considered your solution, and I'd like to ask for advise on a different approach:

Currently, there is a tax checkbox where the user selects 'taxable' or 'not taxable.'  The following calculation happens:

Case (Tax Checkbox = "Taxable" ; 

Round ( All Invoices::Sub Total * All Invoices::Sales Tax Rate LU; 2 ) ; Tax Checkbox = "Not Taxable" ; 0)

Here's my different approach/solution:

Add an option in the tax checkbox value list that reads 'Audit.'

Then modify the above 'case' calculation to a) not calculate a tax total when 'audit' is selected, and b) allow me to enter data.  (I have stipulated 'b)' because currently the field is not modifiable, and I'm not sure how to change that.

Any input?

Thanks!

-Andrew

• 3. Re: Taxable Line Items  ::  A new Challenge...
              philmodjunk

I don't follow why you would want to do that.

Also, in most retail situations, you know in advance which items in your product table are taxable, so you normally label the items that are taxable in the product table so you don't have to select the "taxable" status each time you fill out an invoice. (That approach makes data entry errors very easy.)