3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 8:13 AM by hp_1

Teacher solution?

hp_1

Title

Teacher solution?

Has anyone came across a good teacher solution including daily notes & marks, test result lists, student & check lists etc.?

I tried FM's own solution, but it does not offer anything for the daily stuff. And I'm not fit enough to create my own database.

Thanks a lot!

hp

• 1. Re: Teacher solution?
          MSpsi

I have a few thoughts.

Can you "glue together" a few different templates one based on a specific feature you need?  Alternatively, have you looked at Bento?  Might it have some options for you.  Finally, I was in a very similar situation to you and found the missing manual book for FileMaker very helpful.  Creating my own custom solution was a lot easier then I thought and fun to boot.  If you go that route I would seggest you start with the feature you need the most and use a template for that.  Then start building from there.

Good luck!

M

• 2. Re: Teacher solution?
            misterg65

I've been looking for exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason! And, unfortunately got exactly the same results... I did find one solution but it seems to have been altered beyond recognition and packaged into a standalone (paid for) project. The other solutions I've come across are for running a whole school.

As MSpsi said, have you looked ay Bento? I started with that and have been happily using it since v1, but my needs have outgrown its abilities. I needed something more powerful for data analysis and Excel was not giving me the results I needed. I moved to FileMaker and the initial Bento work was easily imported.

However, I have found that if you try something then ask for help there are plenty of good folk on this forum who can give you pointers in the right direction - for example there is the thread I started asking for help with seating plans.

Perhaps we should invite all teachers using filemaker to get together in a forum of our own :)

• 3. Re: Teacher solution?
              hp_1

Hm... I bought Bento right when it came out but I was very disappointed. Compared to FM, it's a toy.