12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 11:55 AM by davidanders

Templates and things ...

PatrickDekeyser

Title

Templates and things ...

Hi there. I'm trying to create a new database in FMP 11, using a template. But I do not see any templates in the template window ...

How is that possible ? Thanks for helping me figuring out.

• 1. Re: Templates and things ...
          GuyStevens

Normally speaking you can start from a starter solution. Filemaker will ask you where you want to save it and if you open that file you will be have started a database from a starter solution.

The other option is to start a new database and create it from scratch yourself.

But if you have no experience doing this you might want to start by having a look at a starter solution to get the hang of it and to cheat a little.

• 2. Re: Templates and things ...
            PatrickDekeyser

Hi there, DaSaint,

Apologising for not using the right termes, but I meant I wanted to start a new database, using a starter solution, but the starter solution window is as black as the night. I do not see any starter solutions at all. That's why I'm so surprised.

• 3. Re: Templates and things ...
              GuyStevens

That is indeed a surplrise.

Normally speaking you should arrive on a nice layout ready to enter data.
              Could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

• 4. Re: Templates and things ...
                GuyStevens

Maybe if you arrive in a list view and it's still empty it could be that there is not much to be seen. Try if you can click on "New Record" on the top.

• 5. Re: Templates and things ...
                  PatrickDekeyser

Here is a screenshot !

• 6. Re: Templates and things ...
                    GuyStevens

Wel, dat ziet er niet juist uit :)

There are two ways to get to the starter solutions, Trough the quick start screen, or trough "File" - "New from starter solution"

I don't know which one you used, but maybe try the other way, see if that makes a difference.

Also, I see you already have some filemaker stuff open in the background. Shouldn't make a differenct, but maybe try closing it all.

If all else fails try completely quitting Filemaker and restarting it.

I see this when I select "New From StarterSolution"

Starter Solution

• 8. Re: Templates and things ...
                      davidanders

I see you are using Filemaker ver 11, I do not know if ver 12 starter solutions will work.

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/create_db.8.3.html

Home > Designing and creating databases > Creating a database > Creating a FileMaker Pro file

Creating a FileMaker Pro file
                      You can create as many database files as you need to organize information. You can:
                       •
                      Create an empty file, then design layouts yourself.
                       •
                      Create an empty file using layouts defined in a FileMaker Pro Starter Solution (template).
                       •
                      Use FileMaker Pro to open a file containing data in another file format, then modify the design by adding layouts, if needed. For information, see Converting a data file to a new FileMaker Pro file.
                      To create a blank, empty file:
                      Choose File menu > New Database.
                      Tip  You can use the FileMaker Quick Start Screen to create new files. Choose Help menu > Quick Start Screen, click Create a New Database, and continue with step 2.
                      Type a name for the file (choose a different folder, if needed), then click Save.
                      Windows: For Save as type, select FileMaker Files. If you don't type a file extension, FileMaker Pro adds .fp7 to the filename. (To view file extensions in Windows, see the Windows operating system Help.)
                      FileMaker Pro creates the file and displays an empty database in Table View.
                      Do one of the following:
                       •
                      To add fields and records, define field types, and set options for fields in a spreadsheet-like table, use the options in Table View. For more information, see Working with data in Table View.
                       •
                      To define tables, fields, and relationships, or to set field options, choose File menu > Manage > Database. For more information, see Defining database fields and Defining database tables.
                      Note  By default, choosing File menu > New Database displays an empty database in Table View. You can change the default setting to display the Manage Database dialog box whenever you choose File menu > New Database to create a new database. For more information, see Setting general preferences.
                      To create a file using a Starter Solution:
                      In FileMaker Pro, choose File menu > New FromStarter Solution.
                      Tip  You can use the FileMaker Quick Start Screen to create new files. Choose Help menu > Quick Start Screen, click Use a Starter Solution, and continue with step 2.
                      Select All Solutions to view a list of all available solution files or choose a solution category to narrow the list of choices.
                      Note  If no solutions are listed, see Notes below.
                      Select a solution from the list (Windows) or the group of thumbnails (Mac OS), then click Choose.
                      Type a name for the file (choose a different folder, if needed), then click Save.
                      Windows: For Save as type, select FileMaker Files. If you don't type a file extension, FileMaker Pro adds .fp7 to the filename. (To view file extensions in Windows, see the Windows operating system Help.)
                      FileMaker Pro creates the file on your disk and the file opens. This pre-designed database contains fields and buttons set up for tasks commonly performed in databases. This file contains no data.
                      Click New Record in the status toolbar to add data to the file.
                      Notes
                       •
                      If you don’t see the FileMaker Starter Solutions, they are not installed. If you have your installation CD, you can install the Starter Solutions by specifying the English language pack when you perform a custom installation of FileMaker Pro over your existing installation. For more information about installing FileMaker Pro, see the Installation and New Features Guide for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced. If you do not have your installation CD, visit www.filemaker.com and download Starter Solutions individually. If you want Starter Solutions to be accessible from the FileMaker Quick Start Screen, place them in one of the following locations:
                       •
                      FileMaker Pro/English Extras/Templates/
                       •
                      FileMaker Pro Advanced/English Extras/Templates/
                       •
                      You can create a file by opening a non-FileMaker Pro data file (for example, a Microsoft Excel file) in FileMaker Pro, or by making a copy of an existing FileMaker Pro file. When you open a non-FileMaker Pro data file, a new FileMaker Pro file is created with the file’s data in it. For more information, see Converting a data file to a new FileMaker Pro file.
                      Troubleshooting problems when creating a file
                      If you see the error message, This command cannot be used by this installation of FileMaker, the ability to create new databases was disabled during the installation of FileMaker Pro.
                      Contact your systems administrator for more information.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fmp11_users_guide.pdf
                      Creating a file using a Starter Solution

1. Choose File menu > New From Starter Solution.
                      You can also use the FileMaker Quick Start Screen to create files. Choose Help menu > Quick Start Screen, then click Use a Starter Solution.
                      2. Select All Solutions to view a list of all available solution files, or choose a solution category to narrow the list of choices.

If the FileMaker Quick Start Screen appears but there are no FileMaker Pro Starter Solutions displayed in it, the Starter Solutions weren’t installed. For more information, see Help.

3. Select a solution from the list (Windows) or the group of thumbnails (Mac OS), then click Choose.
                      4. Type a name for the file (choose a different folder, if needed), then click Save.
                      Windows: For Save as type, select FileMaker Files.
                      FileMaker Pro creates the file on your disk and opens the file. You can modify fields and layouts in Starter Solutions. For more information, see the remaining sections in this chapter.
                      Sample Database Design FormProject NamePurpose of this databaseFilename for this databaseTable nameField nameField typeCommentsLayoutsTable nameField nameField typeCommentsNamePurpose Screen Print Web

A listing of Free Filemaker Templates
                      http://www.filemakerfree.com/

Free Templates listed on Filemaker.com
                      http://developer.filemaker.com/solutions/results/?flag_free=1&sol_region_amr=1&start=0

the menu to New from Starter Solution in FMP ver12
                      http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/images/starter_solutions/starter.png

• 10. Re: Templates and things ...
                        PatrickDekeyser

Thanks you all, but this solution is not solving my initial problem. As you see, I have templates etc. installed in the application folder. My initial concern is that I do not see this in the starters solutions window, when I "open new by starter solution" ... Even re-installing the FMP application is no option, I did this also, like I deleted the preferences. Nothing helps. Stange it is ...

• 11. Re: Templates and things ...
                          GuyStevens

I find it strange that the black window is so big.

With me, in Filemaker the window for the starter solution is only a small window.

(See my previous screenshot)

• 12. Re: Templates and things ...
                            davidanders

Corrupt Filemaker PLIST?  delete with FMP closed, open FMP.

It is imperative that you remove any trial version of FileMaker Pro when installing the shipping version. Please do not attempt to install the shipping version of FileMaker Pro over the trial version.
                            To remove the trial version of FileMaker Pro:

In the Mac OS:

1. Drag the FileMaker Pro folder and all of its contents to the trash.
                            2. Drag the FileMaker Pro preferences files to the trash. The preferences file can be found at the following location: <home>\Library\Preferences\FileMaker Preferences\FileMaker Pro Prefs

NOTE: FileMaker Pro 11 no longer stores preferences in the above location. This information is now stored at <home>\Library\Preferences\ and has been renamed as follows:

com.filemaker.client.advanced.plist
                            com.filemaker.client.pro.plist
                            com.filemaker.client.runtime.<Solution name>.plist

Corrupt Directory? Do a Safe Mode startup (shift key down) or run AppleJack, Onyx, or some such.