2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 5:28 AM by jgm_1

temporary locking of tables

med

Title

temporary locking of tables

As I understand it when you open a file (fp7) all the tables in it are opened and you can access each using an attached layout. I also understand that you can change fields on a layout only if contained in the main table not in related ones.

My question is : one of the tables (say table 1) contains parameters and I do not want any body to be able to change its contents while another is working with a different layout which is used to compile information for a report and if table 1 changes during the process the report will produce erroneous results).

How do I lock table 1 ? I could not find this any where in the documentations.

• 1. Re: temporary locking of tables
          philmodjunk

I also understand that you can change fields on a layout only if contained in the main table not in related ones.

Actually you can change them. They can be treated in many ways just like a field defined in the layout's table.

How do I lock table 1 ?

For starters, see "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis".

The trick is to set up an expression where you can set a "lock" on a table and then later "unlock" it.

Define a relationship like this:

Table 1::anyfield X LockTable::anyfield

You create a single record in LockTable. Define a text field, LockStatus in it. On a locktable absed layout where you want to control the lock status, place LockStatus on the layout with a Locked, Unlocked radio button format.

Now you can use this expression as the record access expression in Manage | Security... to control access to the table:

LockTable::LockStatus = "UnLocked"

• 2. Re: temporary locking of tables
            jgm_1

I have a similar need, but I want table 1 to be locked/unlocked by a script step. Can this be done?