3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 6:25 PM by philmodjunk

Test for specific layout in another window

deathrobot

Title

Test for specific layout in another window

What would be the most straightforward way to test if any open window (assuming there are more than one) is currently on a certain layout?

• 1. Re: Test for specific layout in another window
          SteveMartino

Your question needs some clarification.  Every window has a layout. Do you want to know how many windows are opened?  Or do you want to know if a layout is opened on more then one window? 

• 2. Re: Test for specific layout in another window
            deathrobot

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to see if if any of my open windows is currently showing a specific layout. I'm specifically trying to solve for a situation where I have two windows open, and IF the non-active one is on a certain layout, I want the script to do one thing, but if it's on any other layout, the script should just exit. (The reason I want to account for any number of open windows is that a user could potentially open multiple windows, even though my UI tries to prevent that from happening).

Michael

• 3. Re: Test for specific layout in another window
              philmodjunk

There is a WindowNames function that returns a list of the names of all open windows. A script could loop through that list in order to select each window in turn and use Get ( LayoutName ) to check for that specific layout. But this will cause each window to briefly pop to the front unless the window is a floating document window or modal dialog window.

Set Variable [ $WindowList ; WindowNames ]
              loop
                  Set Variable [$K ; value: $K + 1 ]
                  Exit Loop If [ $K > ValueCount ( $WindowList ) ]
                  Select Window [ GetValue ( $WindowList ; $K ) ]
                  IF [ Get(LayoutName ) = "NameofYourLayoutHere" ]
                      Set Variable [$Window ; value: GetValue ( $WindowList ; $K ) ]
                      Exit Loop If [True]
                  End IF
              End Loop