4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 10:14 AM by heraldst

Text calculations / skipping empty fields?

heraldst

Title

Text calculations / skipping empty fields?

I've created a text calculation defined by 7 different fields on my database. 

This works perfectly, however not all 7 fields are always in use for all records.  It's the same field that sometimes is left blank because the information is not relevent for each record.  

When the field is blank, the text calculation leaves the line blank.  Is there anyway to create a calculation that doesn't leave the line blank, but rather skips that empty field? 

By leaving it blank it creates an empty line between two lines that should be one on top of another.  

Make sense?  

• 1. Re: Text calculations / skipping empty fields?
          Sorbsbuster

Posting the calculation you are using may have helped...

If you are doing this:
          Field1 & "---" & Field2 & "---" & .... & Field7

you could change it to be

Case (Field1 = "" ; "" ; Field1 ) & etc

Or, if each field is separated by a return, I think you could have:

List ( Field1 ; Field2...; Field7 )

• 2. Re: Text calculations / skipping empty fields?
            heraldst

Hi Sorbsbuster, 

Here are my calculations: 

Artist  &  " "  &  ¶  &  Title  &  " "  &  ¶  &  Year  &  " "  &  ¶  &  Medium   &  " "  &  ¶  &  Dimensions  &  " "  &  ¶  &  "Ed."  &  " "  &  Edition  &  " "  &  ¶  &  HS Number

Basically I want my field to show: 

Artist

Title

Year

Medium

Dimensions

Ed. edition number

HS number

The problem is that not all of the artworks in the database have an edition number.  Where they don't, I don't want that to be a blank line, I'd like the next line to be 'HS number'.  

I've written in 'Ed.' because the field for 'Edition' only contains the edition number and I want the calculated field to say 'Ed.' before the edition number. Any way to skip this too?

I know this is really specific, but I only have basic filemaker skills.  Any advice (like particular calculations...) would be great!

• 3. Re: Text calculations / skipping empty fields?
              philmodjunk

As Sorbsbuster suggested, do it this way:

List (Artist  ;  Title ; Year  ;  Medium   ;  Dimensions  ;  If ( Not Isempty ( Edition ) ; "Ed."  &  " "  &  Edition ) ; HS Number )

• 4. Re: Text calculations / skipping empty fields?
                heraldst

That worked.  Thank you!!!