3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 12:15 PM by nolak37

    text field read as date



      text field read as date




      I have a field that initially was set as a date field and later changed to a text field when i realized that sometimes there needed to be an estimated time "approx 2 weeks" instead of an exact date.

      The problem im having is that when anything is entered into the field it displays a warning saying the field should contain a date in one of the following formats, then shows the format to enter your date. I checked to ensure the Validation was not selected to strict data type and date was selected and still continues to give me the same popup.


      has anyone had this problem before and is there a way to fix it without deleting the field and creating a new one?


        • 1. Re: text field read as date



          If you aren't going to validate that it is a date (re: "approx 2 weeks"), turn the validation off.


          If you enter a date into that field in the format the warning describes, does the warning come up then?

          • 2. Re: text field read as date

            I don't think you've really changed the field to type date. I'd double check that if I were you...


            Fields of type date will insist on data being entered in a date format and that's what should happen. You could define this field as a text field as you have described, but it would be better to add a second text field for such comments and place it next to the date field. Then you can still treat this field as a field of type date but also be able to add such qualifying comments.

            • 3. Re: text field read as date

              sorry I guess i didnt explain it right, yes validation was turned off.

              Im not sure what was going on but after changing the field type to text it was still expecting a date. I checked the field type 5-6 times and it said text but for some reason after turning off FMPA and turning it back on I realized the field still said date.


              Well anyway I changed it back and its all working now