3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 10:26 AM by philmodjunk

text field with large amounts of text, how to hide field unless needed?

HeidiStewart

Title

text field with large amounts of text, how to hide field unless needed?

i have a comment field that will end up being used to store a lot of comments, i dont want this field taking up a lot of space on my layout (and making it look messy).  i'd love to just have a button that says "comments" and when you click it, the comment field opens up in a new window with just that one field and you can read what's there, add and/or delete just like a normal text field. but then you close it (the information saves) and you don't see it again until you click the "comments" button again.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-15_at_12.02.27_PM.png

• 1. Re: text field with large amounts of text, how to hide field unless needed?
          philmodjunk

Have you considered adding a "comments" tab to your tab control? That would seem an easier way to go here.

I suggest a portal to a related comments table. That will make working with multiple comments easier to work with. Whether you use a single large text field or such a portal, new window can open a new window when you click a button. Your basic script opens the new window with the desired window properties (in FileMaker 12, you can make the window "modal" if you want.), then you use go to layout to select the desired layout and additional script steps can hide the status area.

You can also use Go to Related Records to both pull up a found set of records and display them in a new window. The same options you find in New Window are also found in Go To Related Records.

• 2. Re: text field with large amounts of text, how to hide field unless needed?
            HeidiStewart

i dont want the comments to be visable unless you click the button (or whatever action) that brings up a pop up window that ONLY shows the comment field and allows you to type as much as you want and scroll through the text already there.

so i'm trying not to use the portal or adding a new tab to show the comment field.

everytime i try to make a button open a new window it just opens up a copy of the main layout.... seems kinda ponitless to me, i can already see that.  i want the window to open up with just the field i choose.

i tried all three of the window properties (Document, Floating Docment, Dialog Window).  none of them show just the one field i need to see.

maybe there is a better way to have a field be accessible but hidden from view? 

• 3. Re: text field with large amounts of text, how to hide field unless needed?
              philmodjunk

i dont want the comments to be visable unless you click the button (or whatever action) that brings up a pop up window that ONLY shows the comment field and allows you to type as much as you want and scroll through the text already there.

It's your database to design, but what you describe sounds nearly identical to the effect produced by adding a tab for comments. The field you place on that panel of your tab control can include a scroll bar. A portal, of course, could also use a scroll bar with the comment field inside the portal row formatted with a scroll bar as well.

And adding it to your database takes a lot less work....

A portal would allow you to separate different entries into different records, but all still visible on the layout. This then also allows you to include fields that automatically enter the date, the time and even the account name of the person adding a comment.

everytime i try to make a button open a new window it just opens up a copy of the main layout....

To repeat from my last post:

Your basic script opens the new window with the desired window properties (in FileMaker 12, you can make the window "modal" if you want.), then you use go to layout to select the desired layout and additional script steps can hide the status area.

If interested, you can download and examine the Known Bugs List Database. It uses new window for user input in several diferent parts of the database. The "new" and "edit" buttons on the main layout are pretty good examples of what you are describing here.