2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 4:58 PM by MaxwellKessler

Text Fields Fitting to Text

MaxwellKessler

Title

Text Fields Fitting to Text

Hey guys,

I have the most basic database of all time here.  I'm taking notes for my job--essentially compiling ideas and organizing them.  Each idea gets a new record.  I put the notes I take on each idea into a text field.  Thing is, the text for each idea varies in size.  Sometimes they're only a sentence or two, and other times, they are like 3/4 of a page in Microsoft Word.

Is there any way to adjust my layout property for the text field so that the field automatically adjusts to the size of the text?  

Eventually, I will save all the records to a pdf and send them out.  It'd be great to be able to fit more than one record to a pdf page.  Right now, those one sentence records take up a whole page in the pdf.  It's wasteful and hard to navigate.

Anyone know what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

maxwell

• 1. Re: Text Fields Fitting to Text
          philmodjunk

For printing/previewing and saving as PDF, you can set up a copy of your layout where the text field is very large, larger than you anticipate ever needing. Then set it to "slide up" and to "Resize enclosing part"--settings on the Inspector's position tab.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Text Fields Fitting to Text
            MaxwellKessler

awesome!  looks like that may have solved my problem

Thank you!