3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 7:07 AM by philmodjunk

text reporting

LarsGrieten

Title

text reporting

Hi,

I'm new to filemaker and I'm currently working in a hospital where I build a small patient follow up application. Based on a protocol the nurse has to run through and where she can check several boxes. for instance:

[   ] tired

[   ] fever

[   ] swollen feet

If a checkbox is checked the field is filled with a boolean value (1 or nothing). What i would like to do is to have a summary field in the end of the layout where a text content is filled based on the checked boxes. for instance:

[ X ] tired

[   ]  fever

[ X ] swollen feet

Summary field:

the patient we contacted had the following symptoms: he was tired, he had swollen feet. please follow the required instruction for treatment....

This field the nurse can copy and paste in the medical record for storage. up till now i had no efficient way to solve this problem and i'm hoping for some help on this!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: text reporting
          philmodjunk

I suggest the following calculation. It won't produce exactly what you ask for as the phrasing is simpler, but it should be acceptable:

This assumes that you have a single field formatted with these check boxes. I'll call the field "YourCheckBoxField".

Define your calculation to be:

"The patient we contacted had the following symptoms:  " & Substitute ( YourCheckBoxField ; ¶ ; ", " ) & ". please follow the required instruction for treatment...."

Using your example, this will produce:

the patient we contacted had the following symptoms: tired, swollen feet. please follow the required instruction for treatment....

Leaving out the pronouns and verbs makes for a much less complex expression.

• 2. Re: text reporting
            LarsGrieten

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, however this was not entirely what I am looking for.

I'll try to explain it further:

for instance:

Field 1 = checkbox [  ] Doctor

Field 2 = checkbox [  ] Caregiver

Field 3= Checkbox [  ] Heart attack

Field 4 = checkbox [  ] swollen feet

If I would check Doctor (which value will turn to 1) and check heart attack, which turns its value also to 1, i would like to have a 'comments field' where the following text is generated:

For your patient the : 'doctor was contacted' to report the problem of: "a Heart attack"

I can do this in a layout where we could use the merge fields but i would put more logic into the reporting based on various calculations (if some fields are empty insert a certain text string in front etc...

I am able to enter text in a field if another field has value 1, but I cannot add a second text string to that first text string to complete the sentence.

I hope this makes sense?

thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: text reporting
              philmodjunk

If you can get the results you wanted with merge fields, then the calculation field to produce the same is quite similar.

"some text <<FIeld1>> some more text <<Field2>>

and this calculation:

"some text " & field1 & " some more text " & field2

will produce the same result.