I founf this post by PHILMODJUNK from July 2010 . I changed the "search" wording and it came up. You rock Phil!
Best way to remove the formatting:
- Go to a layout where this field is displayed, select Show All Records and click in the field.
- Choose replace field contents from the records menu.
- Specify "by calculation" and enter an expression: TextFormatRemove ( YourTable::YourField )
- Do the replace.
- Find this field's definition in Manage | Database | Fields and double click it.
- Select the auto-enter tab
- Select the calculation option and enter: TextFormatRemove ( Self ) and clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.
Step 1 fixes your existing data, Step 2 keeps it from happening in the future. When it comes time to format your data for output, it's usally best to select the field while in layout mode and specify a format for the field instead of formatting the text itself.