4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 4:03 PM by aidren

text to date conversion

Title

text to date conversion

I am having a problem converting an imported date which is text in this format: 02-Dec-2011

I would like it converted to a date field that reads 02/12/2011

Can someone help me with this? I found some information for a calculation at Filemaker site, but what I found I can't seem to get to work.

Thanks

• 1. Re: text to date conversion
          philmodjunk

Try this:

Let ( [ t = YourTextField ;
                    d = Left ( t ; 2 ) ;
                    m = ceiling ( Position ( "JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec" ; Middle ( t ; 4 ; 3 ) ; 1 ; 1 ) / 3 )
                    y = Right ( t ; 4 ) ];
                    date ( m ; d ; y ) // date must have the values in this order even if you want to display it in a different format such as DD/MM/YYYY
                )

Note: Dates are stored internally as an integer counting the days from 31/12/0000 to the date shown in the field. To see dates displayed in DD/MM/YYYY format, you can specify that date format on the data tab in the inspector if the systems location settings do not display it in this format automatically.

• 2. Re: text to date conversion

Try this:

d = Left ( t ; 2 ) ;
                      m = ceiling ( Position ( "JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec" ; Middle ( t ; 4 ; 3 ) ; 1 ; 1 ) / 3 )
                      y = Right ( t ; 4 ) ];
                      date ( m ; d ; y ) // date must have the values in this order even if you want to display it in a different format such as DD/MM/YYYY
                  )

Note: Dates are stored internally as an integer counting the days from 31/12/0000 to the date shown in the field. To see dates displayed in DD/MM/YYYY format, you can specify that date format on the data tab in the inspector if the systems location settings do not display it in this format automatically.

Thank you. I tried this and got a dialogue saying it could not find text field for 'y', so I created text fields for d, m, and y. Then the dialogue read

"A number, text constant, field name or "(" is expected here."

I was highlighting the y.

• 3. Re: text to date conversion
              philmodjunk

I left out a ;

Make it:

d = Left ( t ; 2 ) ;
                        m = ceiling ( Position ( "JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec" ; Middle ( t ; 4 ; 3 ) ; 1 ; 1 ) / 3 ) ;
                        y = Right ( t ; 4 ) ];
                    )

• 4. Re: text to date conversion

Thank you -- thank you -- thank you!!Smile

I was almost there with the other information I had found, but, I have to say, your solution is so much more elegant.

Thanks again, Phil