5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 12:47 AM by VanessaAnne

Text too long for record field

VanessaAnne

Title

Text too long for record field

Hello, 

I have a field that will be holding a lot of text.  I don't necessarily need to show it all.  Is there a way for it to cut off with a "..." instead of just cutting off words when the field stops. 

thanks!

Picture_1.png

• 1. Re: Text too long for record field
          philmodjunk

It'd be nice if you could. If this is for browsing on your screen, you can include scroll bars as a kind of visual indicator that there's more text to be read.

For layouts that are printed or used to produce PDF's you may want to ame the fields oversized and then set them to slide up and resize the enclosing part.

• 2. Re: Text too long for record field
            VanessaAnne

Thanks.  I'll try that.  How do I name it "oversized" ? 

• 3. Re: Text too long for record field
              philmodjunk

You don't name it, you just size the field to be larger than the largest block of text you are likely to need. This works for a layout to be used for printing, but does not make sense for a layout you will use in browse mode for editing, viewing the records. Often this means creating two layouts, each customized for the two different types of use.

Slide up and resize enclosing part are options specified in the sliding and visibility section of the Inspector's Position Tab.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
              6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              • 4. Re: Text too long for record field
                Sorbsbuster

I'm not clear why you would type all the words in, then 'not need to see them'...

Further to Phil's suggestions, you could have the 'Full-Fat Field' behind the 'Trimmed for Display' field.  Both fields are exactly the same size, shape, etc.  The front ('Trimmed') field is set to not be enterable in Browse mode, but the one behind is.  Make the fill colour of the 'Trimmed...' field solid white.  Set a scroll bar on the FullFatField.

Set the Display field to be a calculation, set to trim the number of characters that will fit into the field size you've selected.  For example:
                Left ( FullFatField ; 200 ) & "...[more]"

Set a ToolTip for the Display field to be the contents of the FullFatField.  Then when you hover the mouse over it you will see (for about 10 seconds) the field's complete contents.

If you click on the Display field you will be taken to the field behind and can scroll the full text.  It would give the impression of working exactly the way you want.

• 5. Re: Text too long for record field
                  VanessaAnne

Thanks for your help!