3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 6:34 AM by philmodjunk

Text Tool question

NolenUglade

Title

Text Tool question

When using Text Tool in Layout mode, can I script edit that text I created?  I need a read-only text.

• 1. Re: Text Tool question
          philmodjunk

This is not possible. But a script can set a field or a global variable to a value. Either such field or variable can be inserted into your layout from the insert menu as a merge field or variable. This will display the contents of the field, but will be read only. There are also other ways to make text in a field read only.

• 2. Re: Text Tool question
            NolenUglade

I guess this was a rhetorical question but I thought there was a 1% chance I could do it like other visual programming software.  Anyway, I didn't like the idea of seeing a text cursor in my field, even if I couldn't change the value.  It should be nothing happens when clicked.

• 3. Re: Text Tool question
              philmodjunk

What I am describing with merge fields will not show any text cursor. And even a regular text field can be put on your layout and behavior settings can be set to deny browse mode access. The resulting text in both cases will look and act just like layout text--no cursor will appear; no access to the  field will be allowed.