1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 8:55 AM by philmodjunk

Thanks PhilModJunk for your advice. I tried the new formula but it still resulted in the error...

cookachoo

Thanks PhilModJunk for your advice.

I tried the new formula but it still resulted in the error message appearing regardless of whether they had answered Yes, No or Don't know to 'Pertussis Infection Maternal'. I think i will give up on that and look into script triggers. I have never used scripts before so i'm currently having a play around with them.

Will i be able to have a script trigger that will take them to their next correct field depending on what they answer. I will still need a record of their answer to the first question though. That's why i wasn't using a button.

e.g. if they answer yes to Q1, they proceed onto Q2 but if they answer No or don't know to Q1, they proceed to Q5

Thanks

Thank you for all the assistance i have received over the last week. i find this forum invaluable.

i have this persistent problem that i haven't tried many different calculations without being able to get the result i require.

I have a field named ‘blood test swab’ (which has 3 options of yes, no, don’t know) and which should only have data entered if  the previous field ‘Pertussis Infection maternal’ has been answered ‘yes’. (3 options of yes, no, don’t know). I am wanting to post a message if they try and enter data into 'blood test swab' when not supposed to.

The formula I have used is as follows:

Pertussis Infection maternal  ≠ "Yes"  and  IsEmpty ( blood test swab )  or not IsEmpty ( blood test swab)

which isn’t working as it allows data to be entered into ‘blood test swab’ regardless of what option was entered into ‘pertussis infection maternal’.

I have tried that many variations and nothing works properly.

• 1. Re: Thanks PhilModJunk for your advice. I tried the new formula but it still resulted in the error...
          philmodjunk

Did you try this expression?

( Pertussis Infection maternal  ≠ "Yes"  and  IsEmpty ( blood test swab ) ) or
          ( not IsEmpty ( blood test swab) AND Pertussis Infection maternal  = "Yes")

If the custom validation error message wont' work for you, (you can only use static text and it displays for all validation errors), you may need to use a script trigger to perform a script so that you can use the much more flexible show custom dialog to provide the user with a meaningful error message. (There's also a revert records script step you can use in this script to roll back the edit.)