3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 4:07 PM by philmodjunk

The aero look in Filemaker

KevinPfeiffer

Title

The aero look in Filemaker

I like the new(?) Inspector, but it would be nice to see some fresh life in Filemaker design elements (e.g. transparency). Those black-white bitmap patterns must go back to the dawn of the GUI era.

Here's a quick attempt at some fake-aero styling...

• 1. Re: The aero look in Filemaker
          philmodjunk

If you'd like more FileMaker Inc. personnel to read your suggestion:  http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

• 2. Re: The aero look in Filemaker
            KevinPfeiffer

Thanks for the tip -- I know it's well meant -- but such "this is the left shoe, ya gotta talk to the right shoe to tell us how to improve our products" systems leave me cold. Yes, there is a lot of garbage in user support forums, but that's life. If the developers don't talk to user support (and look at least once in a while at their support forum) then their loss.

Besides, they must have their reasons for maintaining the dorky bitmap patterns and not adding transparency (screen redraw performance issues, I imagine).

• 3. Re: The aero look in Filemaker
              philmodjunk

Please note that I didn't say you had to post to that link in order for FileMaker to hear you. I suggested it as that link feeds some type of system used by FileMaker Inc. personnel to collect and evaluate feature requests. Personnel from FileMaker Inc. do regularly read and respond to posts made here in the forum, but when they sit down to evalulate ideas for improving FileMaker, the data collected from that online form remains a key tool they use for evaluating such requests.

Personnally, I make suggestions in the Feedback section of the forum when I want to get the responses of fellow users and also to drum up support form the idea. I include a link to the suggestion form so that other's who read the post can easily click the link and add a "me too" to help raise the impact of my suggestion. I then fill out the suggestion form and make the effort to not only describe the suggestion fully, but to make the case for why it is important something that may help improve the impact over just saying: "this part of FileMaker isn't very good and I want it to change to be like this...".