13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

The File could not be opened. (Not Found)

DillonGoldfarb

Title

The File could not be opened. (Not Found)

I am having problem with my old program that I just converted from Filemake 9 to Filemaker 12. Every time I open the file it gives me this error and I click OK then it opens a window to locate my file and I click cancel, then the program continues just fine. I want to know how I can fix this problem because it is very inconvenient. I looked into some forums posts about this and it says to go to File > Manage but my whole entire menu is greyed out. In Fact I cannot edit any of this program because I did not create the original program and the person who did is no longer around. 

• 1. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
          ninja

From the symptoms...

You converted a 9 file to a 12 file.

The 9 file was related to another 9 file...

since 12 and 9 are not compatible, the new 12 file goes looking for the other file and can't find it.

You only need that other file for certain operations, and you haven't hit those operations yet....but they're coming...well, maybe you have hit those operations and simply don't know it yet...maybe your numbers are wrong and you don't even realize it.

What other FMP9 file was your dbase related to?  If you could access Manage>Dbase you could answer that question.  Can you answer that question some other way?  If so, convert both files at the same time over to FMP12.

Using a Dbase that no one in your company can actually get into FullAccess on is playing with fire...who has FullAccess to your database?  If they aren't there anymore, can you contact them?

• 2. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
            DillonGoldfarb

All the files are converted to filemaker 12 it did work for a day before I forgot to turn off my home office computer and it made a Conflict file. I then deleted the original because the conflict file was up to date and renamed it as the original. Noone else has access to my program. and like I said Manage menu is all Grayed Out. I still dont know to make that menu active. 

• 3. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
              philmodjunk

Open Manage | External Data Sources from the File Menu. Somewhere in that list of external data source references is one that no longer connects to the needed file. This can happen if the referenced  file is deleted, moved or renamed. When you correct or delete this entry--could be one that you no longer need, the error message and file open dialog will stop appearing.

• 4. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                DillonGoldfarb
                Like I said that while manage menu is greyed out and I have no idea how to activate it. I know all the passwords but I don't know where to open that menu. I cannot even edit the layout.
                • 5. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                  ninja

The Manage Menu is greyed out because you are not logged into the Dbase with FullAccess Privileges.

You must be logged into the Dbase with FullAccess privileges in order to address the broken file reference within.

• 6. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                    DillonGoldfarb
                     Ninka, how do i log into full access Privileges. When the program starts it promps me to enter a password. I enter in the password and continue. I do have another password where i tried to enter it and it says invalid. Is their a special place to go to to access admin?
                    • 7. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                      ninja

Every AccountName & Password combination that is valid has a Privilege set ascribed to it within the FMP dbase.

At some point, someone (you?) set up an account and password and attributed a privilege set to that Account/Password combo.

You have to type in an account name and password that have been assigned FullAccess Privileges...then you are in with that Privilege Set.

Who set up this file and created the accounts?  That's the one to call.

Is this an option for you?

• 8. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                        DillonGoldfarb

No this is not an option the person who created this program in 1997 is no longer alive :-( 

• 9. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                          ninja

Ouch.  And my condolences.

Do you have backups of the old FMP9 files that do not show this behavior?  Even if we can't get into the External Data References, perhaps a batch conversion can avoid breaking the relationship/reference.

(Note that if you go this route, and cannot get into FullAccess, you might want to contact a local developer to recreate or try to hack your Dbase for you.  Like I said earlier...you're playing with fire here.  How reliant are you on this database?  If it's just for fun, you might ride it out.  If it is crucial info, you're taking a big risk.)

Short of that (cross fingers here) Have you tried an Account Name of "Admin" with no password?  And have you tried loggin in as a guest?

If the creator of the file was particularly sloppy, they may have left these avenues open with FullAccess Privileges.

• 10. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                            DillonGoldfarb

This program is working fine if I just ignore the error but I would like to access the Edit Layout so I can fix the template and edit how my invoice looks since the invoice has a retail store we dont even have anymore. Like i said this program was made a long time ago for my father and now that I am incharge of the wholesale I would like to update things to the modern times. I have a note in OneNote that says "filemaker" and it says Password **** Opens Scriptmaker. What is scriptmaker?

• 11. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                              philmodjunk

Without a full access password, you are stuck. You may be better off starting with a brand new file and creating your own database design.

But I noticed this statement:

I do have another password where i tried to enter it and it says invalid.

When you entered that other password, did you also enter the account name that goes with it or did you just enter the other password leaving the account name in place that automatically appears in the account name box when the dialog first pops up? You may be able to get that second password to work if you also enter the correct account name that goes with it.

• 12. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                                DillonGoldfarb

I DID IT! after 3 hours of trial and error i figured out the right password. I think i have the error sound stuck in my head. Anyways now how do I link up the files to match?

• 13. Re: The File could not be opened. (Not Found)
                                  philmodjunk

Start with Manage | External Data Sources. When you get that error message, it should list the file that it can't find by name. Search through the entries in this Manage window looking for any that refer to this file that your system can't find. At least one of them is incorrect.