AnsweredAssumed Answered

The Great FilePath Mystery

Question asked by RayMentor on Sep 28, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 by RayMentor

Title

The Great FilePath Mystery

File paths are my nemesis. I continue to get tripped up on terms like "absolute, relative, local, etc.". I've reviewed the FM help file record(s) about file paths, but apparently I need a simpler explanation. The geekspeak in the help note hasn't dispelled the darkness yet.

Here's why I need to wrap my brain about this.

I frequently need to create scripts that all a networked user to save his or her found records as Excel or PDF, attach to an email and send.  

Usually I'm working from a hosted FM 10 file in Filemaker Server 10 in a network situation which is either all Mac, all Windows, or mixed Mac and Windors.

Of course, there's strategy of the "Save Records as Excel / PDF" script step and then click the option to create an email. However, I typically want to supply the email address because it's available in the database. Most often, I do something like:

Set Variable [$FilePath; Value: "file:" & Get (TemporaryPath) & "Proceeds.xls"

Export Records [No dialog; "Proceeds.xls"

Send Mail [Send via E-mail Client; Subject: "Proceeds report & Get (CurrentDate); $FilePath

Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Can anyone do any of the following:

1) Direct me to an explanation of paths written for someone who is not a computer science major

2) Share a reliable script that will send the attachment no matter what the system user is on

3) Point out the error of my ways in the short script example I cited above

Much obliged for any assistance. Thanks in advance. 

Outcomes