3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 2:53 PM by WilliamW

The primary file is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open.

WilliamW

Title

The primary file is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open.

I'm experiencing a problem where during startup the runtime displays a message like "The primary file 'yada.fp7' is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open." The solution continues to open successfully. Recovery doesn't seem to yield any result, regardless of platform. Has anyone seen this type of thing before? I'm using FMPro 10 Adv.

-w

• 1. Re: The primary file is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open.
          WilliamW
             To give a better discription: I have a single file runtime solution that is designed to update itself thru the usual routine of download, import, save-over-self. Works the same way regardless of platform. Upon restarting the solution, the message: "The primary file 'yada.USR' is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open." is displayed, regardless of platform. The single file solution continues to open successfully. There are no other calls to any external data source during startup. Various methods of saving a copy, clone, compacted copy, recovering, and religious chanting have not yielded a result.

The list of external data sources contains two items (related to the above process) neither of which contain a suffix (EDS#1: 'file:yada', and EDS#2: 'file:update', without quotes). I'm inclined to discount relevance of these anyway. The problem message is displayed before the first step of the open script is processed (Show Custom Dialog).

I've tested the process with an update file that has a different bind key which simply will not open even to update. Eliminated, as the file does open, and so has the correct key.

FileMaker 10 Runtime, WinXP SP3, VISTA SP?, OSX 10.4.11

Pending further investigation of my download routine, and what ever creative idea that comes up... "Zed, we have a bug."

I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

• 2. Re: The primary file is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open.
            philmodjunk
               What happens if you bind a new copy of the file and use the new executable to open the file? Same error message?
            • 3. Re: The primary file is either not part of this application, is damaged, or is already open.
              WilliamW

Actually, I now believe that an unbound copy of the solution was used in my build process somewhere. Working too hard I guess.

Thanks all.

-w