1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 12:02 PM by erawson

Theme Optimization between FileMaker Pro 13 and 12

Turtle_1

Title

Theme Optimization between FileMaker Pro 13 and 12

Hello,

I heard FileMaker Pro 13's custom theme feature could greatly reduce web traffic for WebDirect, so I created a custom theme and applied it to almost all of the layouts in an  FM13 file.

It appeared that the file rendered the layouts at a decent speed on WebDirect.

However, I have noticed one thing here;  when I tried to modify the layout(s) using FileMaker Pro 12,  the performance got way sluggish and sometimes went as close to getting no response from the application.

I even tried to restore the file using FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced and it generated a file with 1.8GB size, which was originally 2MB.

I believe FileMaker Pro 12 is compatible with 13 , but there seems to be some problem(s) with editing themes or using custom themes....

Are there any ways to share  and edit the same themes between FileMaker Pro 12 and 13?

Incidentally, FileMaker Pro 12's "Classic" theme does not share the same name with FileMaker Pro 13's "Classic".

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Theme Optimization between FileMaker Pro 13 and 12
          erawson

We have found that if you edit and save a layout using Filemaker Pro 12 it will appear to keep the custom styling that was previously applied using Filemaker 13, however if you then go to layout mode in Filemaker 13 again and make ANY modification, you will notice all of the styles assigned to layout objects will be reverted back to "Default" and must be manually re-assigned again.

In short, Filemaker Pro 12 can read your custom themes that you created in Filemaker Pro 13, but once you apply a custom theme and styles to a layout I would strongly recommend not making any future modifications to that layout using Filemaker Pro 12.