4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 7:22 AM by deannakp

there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data

deannakp

Title

there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data

I have installed FileMaker Donations version 2.0 using Windows XP.  The difficulty I am experiencing occurs after downloading our actual data from work computer's Filemaker Donations saving it to a zip drive loading in in program files on my home computer.  After opening FIleMker Donations then I go to File>Open>go to program files to get data, then another form pops up Filemaker Donations-2 and there is no field titles or tab titles. The data is there--just no field titles (first name, last name, street address, etc) or tab titles (Contacts, Organizations) PLEASE Help!

• 1. Re: there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data
          davidanders

deannakp,

When you do most exports, the data will not include the FieldNames.

Comma or Tab Deliminated will not, unless the first Record contains the FieldNames in each Field.

Excel export gives this as an option. Other export options may also, I think merge does.

Welcome to Filemaker Forums

• 2. Re: there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data
            deannakp

David,

The export was from FileMaker also...I wasn't converting (not sure if that's the right term) from another database (eg.  Excel). 

So if that's the case, then how do you put the fields in there.  What about the tabs- (Contacts, ORganizations, etc.)

• 3. Re: there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data
              TSGal

deannakp:

Your posts are a little confusing, as I'm not sure if you exported the information or copied the information.  If you copied the file and brought it to another computer, it should open the same way as you always do.

Since you are showing "FileMaker Donations 2", that means this is a second occurrence of the file, and I'm not sure if you selected a new window, or if you imported into a new table, or...  ???

Make sure you are importing the data into the same table.

I need more information about your export and import before determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: there are not field titles or tab titles when opening my data
                deannakp

Daniel,

I started all over.  This is what I did...and got the same results.  Sorry for not being clear...I am NOT very techie savvy!

In review...b/c it's been a while...I am trying to transfer the data from office computer to my personal laptop computer.

I have already installed the FileMaker Pro 8 disc on my personal laptop computer.

next...

I did a search on the office computer for FileMaker Donations. 

From the search I sent the file to the removable drive

I opened this file from the zip drive...not titles on the tabs!!!

Do I need to actually open the FileMaker Donations program and download or copy from there????

Thanks for your time!