4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 11:00 AM by artdoc

There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...

artdoc

Title

There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...

Oh, I can set up a layout with Browse and Find deselected, which is what I'd want, and yes, I can use Enter Browse mode to let a new entry be made, but I can't find any way to script a reset to go back to "locked" fields. 

Have I overlooked some script step? 

(I wondered about a conditional or script trigger, working with an if( construct with get(windowmode...And setting it to 02, but I have no idea how to do that!; If result = 02, then what?

• 1. Re: There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...
          philmodjunk

What exactly do you mean by "go back to 'locked' fields"?

And what are you trying to accomplish with that?

And what does that have to do with Window Mode? (Browse, layout, Find or Preview...)

• 2. Re: There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...
            artdoc

Well,  let me clarify:

What exactly do you mean by "go back to 'locked' fields"?

If I switch OFF the Browse and Find options, the fields on my layout cannot be edited. This is the way I'd like to keep it so that bumbling users can't erase or change field content  part names). In my way of thinking, that means  my fields (a single field layout that displays in LIST view only.) are "locked".

And what are you trying to accomplish with that?

See above: I want to prevent editing. And Preview mode isn't an option.

And what does that have to do with Window Mode? (Browse, layout, Find or Preview...)

I can use get(windowode to check on Layout, Browse, or Find, so allowing those options is no problem (("Enter Browse Mode") but there is no way to reverse that and close off edits or finding.

In the long run, sure, I can just leave things closed, but there wll be a continuing eed t let the workers add random new parts to the list. I wanted to OPEN to Browse mode (easily done) then revert to NO browse mode what that script finished. I guess this seems od or Filemaker would have added a LEVE Browse Mode to match the existing  Enter Browse Mode [].
            • 3. Re: There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...
              philmodjunk

It was the "going back to" that was not clear.

Those settings in the Inspector's behavior settings cannot be changed dynamically to permit access to the field. But if you enable the "find" check box but clear the "browse" option, you will have a locked field that cannot be edited, but which can be used in find mode to specify criteria for a search.

To dynamically controll browse mode access to a specific field requires other methods. Access privileges in Manage | Security can sometimes be used. Other times scripts and script triggers are used. Sometimes this uses two copies of your layout--one with locked fields and the other with unlocked field other times a script simply moves the focus to a different layout on the field when the field just entered is currently in "locked" state.

• 4. Re: There doesn't seem to be a way to set my windowmode...
                artdoc

"Sometimes this uses two copies of your layout-..."

A phantom layout? I like it! It's interesting to find tricky ways to get past some "odd" iPad behaviors; this idea helps.

Tanks.