6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2010 5:54 AM by WinstonChurchill

Thinking about FM Pro

WinstonChurchill

Title

Thinking about FM Pro

I'm currently using bento with the ipad app, it's OK but it has a couple of gaps I'd like to fill. I've looked at FM Pro before and d/l the trial but didn't get around to finding out enough about it before the trial expired. I also intended using it with FM touch which I found needed an advanced version of FM, but the new FM pro go app seems more appealing so I'm thinking of just buying the software and learning from there but have a couple of questions before I do.

I pretty much learned Final cut pro from video tutorials, I wondered if there are any third party tutorials of similar nature for FM Pro, I'd need to build my databases from scratch.

One of the intended uses is for data gathering but couldn't be sure if FM Pro will do what I'm looking to achieve, so I'll try to describe what I'm thinking of doing and hopefully someone will understand me and let me know if it's possible or not.

I'm assuming each record will be a job. For each job I have 9 different data sheets to compile (some might not be used on some jobs but I don't foresee that as a problem). I could do this in bento by using the tabs to keep multiple forms in one record. However what I can't do in bento is create a second identical blank data sheet under a particular tab if needed, perhaps an example might explain better.

I gather data about buildings and energy related info. So one of my nine sheets might be for heating systems, a building may have 4 or 5 such systems and I'd need to fill out a form for each. Another of my forms might be about the rooms, the property may have 15 rooms or more and I'd need to fill out a sheet for each.

So 9 different forms in one record, each with the ability to be duplicated as many times as necessary, is it possible.

• 1. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
          sunmoonstar.13

>  I wondered if there are any third party tutorials of similar nature for FM Pro

Here's one site with video tutorials: www.vtc.com 

> So 9 different forms in one record, each with the ability to be duplicated as many times as necessary, is it possible.

Yes. But, in Filemaker, what you call "forms" and "sheets" would be "related tables" and "records" within those tables. In your situation, you would have a "master" table with "job" records, and each job record would have related tables/records connected to it. You can create as many related tables and records ("forms/sheets") as you need.

15 rooms? Piece of cake.

Nick

• 2. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
            WinstonChurchill

Well that's good news. Going to watch a couple of those tutorials before purchase as I'm not quite sure how to install just yet. I have two user accounts on my mac, one for work and one for personal stuff, I will of course be using it for work, but during the learning stages I'll be learning in my own time and would prefer to learn from my personal user account.

If I install and set up in user account personal, am I going to have problems using FM Pro in my user account work. Will it ask for another license.

One last question before purchase, I'm assuming I can put the database file itself on my idisk and that I can obtain another copy of FM Pro to use that database between two (or more) macs.

• 3. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
              philmodjunk

One way to get another trial copy of filemaker is to install it on a computer that you didn't previously install it. If you have access to another computer, you might try that so you can play with it some more to help you evaluate it as well as better understand the training videos.

• 4. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
                RobBishop

Winston,

I highly recommend FMPro for your needs. You will not only find it very versatile but also very easy to work with and the support here is fantastic! I only recently started using it having most all of my relational database experience in mySQL, MS SQL, and MS Access and yet the learning curve has been minimal to say the least. I have only had a couple of things stump me and soon as I posted the issues here I got very prompt courteous assistance by the many fine people in this growing community.

As long as you are polite, and present your issue properly (with all information needed) the FM community I find is eager to help fellow users and developers alike. I would recommend this software to anyone needing any type of organization solution.

Food for thought: Thought I would also mention that with FMPro you can also build a solution that communicates very well with a SQL server database making expansion possiblilites nearly endless.

• 5. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
                  sunmoonstar.13

> If I install and set up in user account personal, am I going to have problems using FM Pro in my user account work. Will it ask for another license.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that a single FMP licence allows you to have a primary installation (say, on your work computer) and a second installation of the software on another machine (like your home laptop) provided the second installation is for your exclusive personal use. As far as I know, the licence is linked to the computer, not a specific account on a computer.

> One last question before purchase, I'm assuming I can put the database file itself on my idisk and that I can obtain another copy of FM Pro to use that database between two (or more) macs.

Your database files themselves can be copied and used on any number of machines.

Further information about licensing here: www.filemaker.com/company/legal/faq_us.html

Nick

• 6. Re: Thinking about FM Pro
                    WinstonChurchill

If I can use the license on a second computer that might work with two user accounts on the same computer. Of interest my trial started all over again in my second user account, so I guess it needs the license key entering into both users, if indeed the license key allows it.