3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 3:12 PM by MatthewMorgan_1

this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable

rtolliver

Title

this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable

I'm looking for an answer for "This action cannot be performed because this Field is not modifiable" all other fields in the record can be modified.  This database is on a development system (iMac running OS X 10.10.2) with a single Admin user and the file has not been move to another directory.  I've checked the field Behavior and "Browse Mode" is checked.

• 1. Re: this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable
          philmodjunk

You need to check field definition details in Manage | Database | Fields.

The typical case for this error message is when a script tries to modify the value of a field of type calculation. But field modification can also be prohibited as a field option inside manage database and if I recall accurately, it's the same message.

And what can be maddening with this message is that the error message does not name the field and this leaves you guessing at times as to which field is meant by "this" field.

• 2. Re: this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable
            MatthewMorgan_1

Hello all!

I am running into this issue with a conditional dropdown, I've checked and re-checked all the spots that I've seen mentioned that could inhibit modification (Manage -> database -> fields, Edit layout -> allow entry of other values),a nd have it set up according to the guide provided for conditional lists. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this.

It's department, then name (Employee list):

AdminDamon
            AdminMatthew
            SalesSean
            SalesMike
            CSCarla
            CSFernando
            TechCraig
            TechWes
            TechGardenia

Department works just fine, can change when creating a new record, but when you select a different employee it pops back to the old one and then displays that error message... I know it's something really dumb, I just can't see it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you as always!

• 3. Re: this action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable
              MatthewMorgan_1

I figured it out. Sorry for making you read that! I had the Value list pointed wrong.