8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 1:28 AM by weedonpaul

This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing

weedonpaul

Title

This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing

Im trying to run a simple script but I get the message "This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing" However, the table is not missing what could the reasons be?

I have just moved "contact management" starter solution into another file and this is the only thing that isn't working.

• 1. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
          philmodjunk

The correct wording of that error message probably should be:

"This action cannot be preformed because required table ocurrence is missing"

That would be confusing to the neophyte but technically accurate. You have a script step such as set field that is attempting to use a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?--one of the "boxes" in Manage | Database | Relationships that either does not exist in your file or which is not linked via a relationship to the current layout's table occurrence, to modify data in a field.

If a set field script step is tripping this error (not the only possible culprit), then

Set Field [ Table OccurrenceName::FieldName ; Expression goes here ]

The text in bold is the table occurrence name that might be responsible for this error message.

There's a good chance that there's a line in your script where a step will show "Missing" instead of a reference to a field.

• 2. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
            weedonpaul

Thank you so much. I have killed a day trying to solve this. It works great now. I am now trying to add the event management template to it all. I have square eyes. I'm sure I'll be back.

• 3. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
              philmodjunk

Merging one solution into another is not a simple process.

Good luck with that approach and hope you have FileMaker Advanced--the Database Design Reports can help you track down a lot of issues produced by incompletely pulling together tables and layouts from multiple files into a single file solution.

• 4. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
                weedonpaul

No i only have pro. Is it worth upgrading and can I just upgrade one licence?

I think I have managed to merge it now (with a lot of swearing), now I need to add the Time billing and make a few alterations. (fingers crossed)

• 5. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
                  philmodjunk

Only you, the developer, needs advanced. There will be no gain for general users to have advanced. Any changes you make using advanced such as installing a custom menu or custom function will be fully functional for users with FileMaker Pro, they just won't be able to modify those aspects of the database design.

Advanced can literally save you hours of effort. The biggest value comes from being able to use the script debugger and data viewer to walk through a script one step at a time while watching the data change and also seeing if any script triggers get tripped by the script. When I create a complex script, I often run it the first time or so from the debugger just to check for errors that may have crept in.

Add to that:

1.           The ability to "test" a new calculation as a 'watch' expression in the data viewer before adding it to a calculation field.
                  3.           The ability to install custom menus that enhance the user interface to make it more friendly and less prone to user errors.
                  5.           Custom functions that can compute values that might otherwise require a script.
                  7.           And then there's the database design report, that while flawed, allows you to do search for keywords such as "missing" or "unknown" to find and correct errors in your database or to find and eliminate parts of your database that are no longer used.

And if you then acquire one of the third party tools out there, you can produce an xml format Database Design Report that the tool imports and analyzes in order to provide a very detailed look at the design and function of your database...

• 6. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
                    weedonpaul

I have 2 licences of FM pro11 can i get advanced 11 or do I have to get FMpro12 advanced? what effect would that have on the other user who has FM11?

• 7. Re: This action cannot be preformed because required table is missing
                      philmodjunk

You'll have to talk to the folks at Filemaker Inc. To see what options you have. You won't want to get Advanced 12 as it uses a different file format than 11.

FileMaker 7 - 11, pro or advanced uses the same file format so you won't have any issues as long as you stick with 11. The two versions of fileMaker are nearly identical. Advanced adds a tools menu plus a few more options in the manage sub menu in the File menu. But those options offer a lot of value for  the database developer.