1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 12:34 PM by jdevans

Time Sheet

EP

Title

Time Sheet

Anyone have sample time sheet files?

Company currently uses a pdf.  Client names appear on the left and then the employee documents how many hours spent w each client (boxes appear on the right for each day of the week).  I want each employee to have their own timesheet records and while I don't want the employee to be able to delete records (to prevent sabotage), I need to implement a way for them to rectify any errors.  

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Time Sheet
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? FileMaker 10 and 11 come with starter solutions you can look at though I prefer a slightly different data model than what those versions use. (I prefer not to use a repeating field. I use a set of related records for each time entry instead.)

while I don't want the employee to be able to delete records (to prevent sabotage), I need to implement a way for them to rectify any errors.

While you can certainly reduce the scope of any potential sabotage to only a small set of records, if you allow employees to rectify errors unsupervised, they can always sabatoge a record by changing the hours worked to zero, nearly zero or a very large number of hours. For this reason, many time tracking systems requier a supervisor approval to modify a timesheet record and this can be done with FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Time Sheet
            EP

FMP Advanced 12. 

While you can certainly reduce the scope of any potential sabotage to only a small set of records, if you allow employees to rectify errors unsupervised, they can always sabatoge a record by changing the hours worked to zero, nearly zero or a very large number of hours. For this reason, many time tracking systems requier a supervisor approval to modify a timesheet record and this can be done with FileMaker.

Thanks.  How would I set this up in my solution?  Is there a way to "unlock" a certain date for editing by the user?

• 3. Re: Time Sheet
              philmodjunk

Ever watch what happens in the store checkout line when a cashier hits a problem, calls for a manager and then the manager comes over, keys in a code and then the cashier can complete the job.

I am suggesting that either the employee would come to the manager and the manager uses their higher accesss password to correct the error or you set up the system so that the manager can "unlock" the specific record, modify it and then, when the change is committed it "relocks" against additional edits by the user.

One interesting decission is exactly when a given record should be locked against changes by an employee as there are a number of options.

The basic concept here is called Record Level Access control:

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

And you can set up a script that uses either re-log in or show custom dialog to open a dialog where a manager can enter their password. The script then confirms that a valid password was entered before either relogging into the file with the manager's account or that then runs a script set to
                   Run with full access permissions" to unlock the record and gain access. When the edit of the record is complete, another script can use relog in to return access permissions back to that of the employee instead of the manager.

• 4. Re: Time Sheet
                EP

So I'm going to set up my relationships as follows: personnel::_pk--<timesheets::_fk  and timesheets::_pk--<datesTable::_fk

I want to display clients on the left column and allow the employee to enter hours spent under each date heading for the current week.seems comlicated to develop.  Anyone have suggestions , perhaps an easier way?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Time Sheet
                  philmodjunk

It will have a significant amount of complexity to the design.

I'd use:

Personnel-----<HoursWorked>----Clients

Personnel::__pkPersonnelID = HoursWorked::_fkPersonnelID
                       Clients::__pkClientID = HoursWorked::_fkClientID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

A single record in HoursWorked would record the hours worked on a given day for a given client.

In the layout that you sketched, you'd use a list view layout based on the Clients table. A script would pull up the clients for which a given employee works. The columns of data would be one row portals for either clocking in an out or for just logging the hours worked for that client for a specified date. The portal can be covered with a transparent button so that clicking the portal will automatically create a new related record for that combination of employee, client and date if one does not already exist before putting the focus in the correct field for data entry.

A series of global fields can be set up as your column headers with the date and portal filter expressions on the portals can use those global fields in their filter expressions to only show the HoursWorked record for that date.

• 6. Re: Time Sheet
                    EP

Phil, thak you very much. This makes much more sense than the route I was heading.  

Since Clients may have many projects over time, would it make sense to use Personnel----<HoursWorked>-----Project , instead of Personnel----<HoursWorked>-----Clients?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Time Sheet
                      philmodjunk

I thought that might be the case. I'd use:

Personnel----<HoursWorked>-----Project>----Clients

if I needed to track hours worked specific to a given project rather than specific to a given client.

• 8. Re: Time Sheet
                        EP

Phil, I am setting this up, but I am wondering if I should have another table- perhaps, a Timesheet table?  

Personnel---<Timesheet----<HoursWorked>---Projects>---Clients

Thoughts?  Thank you

• 9. Re: Time Sheet
                          philmodjunk

It's a possibility to consider. What would one record in TimeSheet represent to you?

• 10. Re: Time Sheet
                            EP

One record in Timesheet would represent an employee's timesheet for a given week with clients/projects and hours worked listed.  I was considering a way to allow employees to add an"addendum" to their time sheet if they make an error.  For example: Oncve an employee presses the "Finalize" button, their timesheet will be locked.  If they need to edit it, they will not be able to, rather they will have the abikity to add "addendums" which essentially is another record of the same time sheet (duplicate) in editable form.  The user can then fix the errors and "finalize" again.  From a payroll dept standpoint, I would create a way for the payroll dept to see their timesheet and all addendums, listed in descending order with the most current at the Top, to be viewed and used as the final/correct copy.

• 11. Re: Time Sheet
                              philmodjunk

One record in Timesheet would represent an employee's timesheet for a given week with clients/projects and hours worked listed.

I suggest that one record in TimeSheet represent one week's work on one project. A TimeSheet report for the week would then be a list view of all TimeSheet records for the specified week. This could then include the "addendum" timesheets.

• 12. Re: Time Sheet
                                EP

Personnel---<Timesheet----<HoursWorked>---Projects>---Clients

Phil, I got stuck in creating these relationships. I have:

Personnel::_pkPersonnelID---<Timesheet::_fkPersonnel ID; Timesheet::_pkTimesheetID--<HoursWorked::_fkTimesheetID; I am stuck linking Projects to hours worked.  Should I use the existing parent key for projects and link it to hours worked? Projects::_pkProjectID--<HoursWorked_fkProjectID?

Clients and Projects are already linked  from when I set that relationship up months ago, so no need to do anything there.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Time Sheet
                                  EP

Phil, I created new table occurrences so I have clean relationships (relatively lasrge database with a lot of relationships).  I think my relationships are set up correctly.  I related Projects to HoursWorked using the following relationship: OfficeCasesHoursWorked::_pkCaseID--<HoursWorked::_fkCaseID.  Sorry for the tabe name and field name changes (I was trying to keep it simple in my initial posts but the rality is that Projects=Cases and Clients=Patients in this database.  

I am ready to proceed in building the layout.  I already created a list view layout based on the OfficeCasesHoursWorked table.  I will include a screenshot in my next post.  I am not sure this is the best way to create the Time sheet.  All I need is to have employees enter hours in one field, and have another field where they can indicate if they completed the project/finished the Case.

Any suggestions? Thanks

• 14. Re: Time Sheet
                                    EP
                                    /files/352351fc6f/Screenshot_3_25_13_12_35_PM.jpg 1280x186
                                    1 2 3 4 Previous Next