AnsweredAssumed Answered

Timestamp ONLY when field value changes during import

Question asked by AjEGfmTech on Jun 19, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 by AjEGfmTech

Title

Timestamp ONLY when field value changes during import

I'm trying to find a way to log a timestamp when a specific field's value actually changes during a data import. I'm currently using the following setup, which works fine for manual data entry, but always updates whenever the record it belongs to has a matching field during import.

For example. I have a subscriber list that includes the following fields...

•           EmailAddress
  •      
  •           StorePreference
  •      
  •           DateLastVisit

The 'EmailAddress' field is the match field for data imports. The data imports always contain all of the existing subscribers plus a small number of new subscribers.

I created two timestamp fields, one each for 'StorePreference' and 'DateLastVisit' with the following auto-enter calculation and "Do not replace existing value…" unchecked.

Evaluate ( "Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp )" ; [StorePreference] )

As I mentioned, this works great when field data is changed manually, but when data is imported, EVERY record that has a matching 'EmailAddress' field will update the timestamp for both 'StorePreference_Update' and 'DateLastVisit_Update'.

It seems that FileMaker considers any record with a matching field to have all of those record's fields updated, even if the values don't change?

Is there any way around this to get a timestamp to update during data import ONLY when the field's value actually changed?

Thanks for any insight.

Outcomes