3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 12:55 PM by AjEGfmTech

Timestamp ONLY when field value changes during import

AjEGfmTech

Title

Timestamp ONLY when field value changes during import

I'm trying to find a way to log a timestamp when a specific field's value actually changes during a data import. I'm currently using the following setup, which works fine for manual data entry, but always updates whenever the record it belongs to has a matching field during import.

For example. I have a subscriber list that includes the following fields...

•           EmailAddress
      •      
      •           StorePreference
      •      
      •           DateLastVisit

The 'EmailAddress' field is the match field for data imports. The data imports always contain all of the existing subscribers plus a small number of new subscribers.

I created two timestamp fields, one each for 'StorePreference' and 'DateLastVisit' with the following auto-enter calculation and "Do not replace existing value…" unchecked.

Evaluate ( "Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp )" ; [StorePreference] )

As I mentioned, this works great when field data is changed manually, but when data is imported, EVERY record that has a matching 'EmailAddress' field will update the timestamp for both 'StorePreference_Update' and 'DateLastVisit_Update'.

It seems that FileMaker considers any record with a matching field to have all of those record's fields updated, even if the values don't change?

Is there any way around this to get a timestamp to update during data import ONLY when the field's value actually changed?

Thanks for any insight.