5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 7:27 AM by james.gould

Timestamp script problem

LeoB

Title

Timestamp script problem

I've got two timestamps in one table.  One created automatically for any modification and another created via a script for when a button is clicked to approve the record (button access controlled via UAC).  Both timestamps work fine.

Now, I'm trying to write a simple script via a trigger that runs whenever the modification timestamp changes.  I want it to compare the modification timestamp to the approval timestamp and if it is after the approval, then I want it to clear two fields (ApprovedBy and ApprovalDate), and possibly replace the ApprovedBy field with some text like "Requires reapproval."

I can't get anything to work.  Here's the basic script:

If [Activity::ModificationTimeStamp > Activity::ApprovalTimeStamp]

Set Field [Activity::ApprovedBy; ""]

Set Field [Activity::ApprovalDate; ""]

End If

I used the Set Field function rather than Clear function as previous advice on this forum recommended that.

I tried it on both OnObjectModify and OnObjectSave, and nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Timestamp script problem
          philmodjunk
             Go into Layout setup... and use OnRecordCommit.
          • 2. Re: Timestamp script problem
            LeoB

OK, Phil:

Are you familiar with that old saying, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished? It was used often when I worked for the federal government, and was always true.

Changing that script to trigger via the layout setup OnRecordCommit worked perfectly.

Now, once I learned about that tool, I tried something else -- and, of course, it isn't working.

I created a tiny script to run OnRecordLoad that would insert text into the ApprovedBy field IF the record had not been approved.  That field is auto-inserted with the user name based on a button for manager approval.

If [Activity::ApprovedBy = IsEmpty ("Requires Approval")]

End If

But, nothing happens when I load records.

Thanks (again)

• 3. Re: Timestamp script problem
              Jade

Hi Leo,

IsEmpty ("Requires Approval")  will always return 0 

So unless Activity::ApprovedBy happens to be 0, the If statement will always be false.

Perhaps you need something like: If(IsEmpty(Activity::ApprovedBy))

or: If(Not IsEmpty(Activity::ApprovedBy)) 

• 4. Re: Timestamp script problem
                LeoB

Jade:

Now I see what I was doing wrong.  I was trying to follow the Help page for IsEmpty, but the example is thoroughly confusing.

I also didn't realize that IfEmpty would operate without a lead-in to the field.

But, it's now working!

Thanks

• 5. Re: Timestamp script problem
                  james.gould

As normal, I've googled my way here!

Just to confirm we're all on the same page, I presume the final solution is something along the lines of:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If[IsEmpty ( Activity::ApprovedBy )]

SetField [Activity::ApprovedBy ; "Requires Approval"]

End If

---------------------------------------------------------------------