1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 8:46 AM by philmodjunk

Timestamping and locking fields.

julieFrith

Title

Timestamping and locking fields.

Hi everyone. 

as always, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jules. Heres my problem. 

I want to create a customer record database. Quite simple name, contact details and a notes section. 

I'd like the notes section to be constantly updated as and when we talk to the customer etc by different members of staff. 

I've set the database up with different account users and set my 'notes' field to be a repeating field but how can i automatically enter a timestamp into each repition and the account user details in? i.e so i know who wrote what and when. it would be even better if this couldn't be edited once entered?

Is there a better way of doing this other than repititions? 

Jules

• 1. Re: Timestamping and locking fields.
          philmodjunk

Is there a better way of doing this other than repititions? 

Yes, use a related table for your notes with one field for the note text, a field for the time stamp, another to log the author's account name (or maybe privilege set name), and yet another to serve as the foreign key that links it to your contact record by contact ID.

Not only will this make it easier to work with via a portal where you can work with an unlimited number of notes instead of being limited to the numer of repetitions you define for the field, you can then use Manage Security to control who can view and who can edit the individual notes by using a calculation expression to control access for each of your privilege sets.

For a detailed description of how to use Manage Security for this, see "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and pay close attention to the sub section titled: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis".