5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 4:29 AM by MadeleinMoolman

Title Case to UPPERCASE

schnook

Title

Title Case to UPPERCASE

Hello all, is there any way of changing title case to upper case. eg <<Name::Membership>> has been put in a layout and works fine it brings up the name but in title case, the field has been set to uppercase in a different layout and shows uppercase but on the this layout it is shown in title case, someone thinks that is has been entered in title case. Is there a way of changin all title case to uppercase so as i don't have to do all 1400 name entries 1 at a time, and how would you have to do this please.

Regards schnook

• 1. Re: Title Case to UPPERCASE
          schnook

Sorry i forgot to add that i am using FMP 10 Advanced with Win XP service pk 3

schnook

• 2. Re: Title Case to UPPERCASE
            philmodjunk

"the field has been set to uppercase in a different layout and shows uppercase but on the this layout it is shown in title case,"

That suggests that the text was not entered in title case. Simply select the text and use Format | Text to specify upper case.

If there is text formatting entered with the text, (this usually happens with text that is pasted into a text field). You can use the following expression in a Replace Field Contents operation to remove all formatting from all records for a given field:

TextFormatRemove(YourTable::YourField)

Before performing a Replace Field Contents:

Make a backup copy of the file

Make sure your the only user if the file is shared over the network.

Choose Show All Records

Click/tab into the field you want to peform this on

Select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu and choose the calculation option.

• 3. Re: Title Case to UPPERCASE
              comment_1
                 You have three options here:

1. Display the data in uppercase, regardless of how it's been entered - leaving the data as entered. This is done on the layout level, and does not affect other layouts (or even other instances of the field on the same layout).

2. Format the data as uppercase on data level - this will override any layout settings, but it's still possible to remove the formatting and revert to the original entry.

3. Permanently modify the data itself to uppercase. Think twice before you go there, because its a one way street: if someone entered "MacGregor" and you modify the entry to "MACGREGOR", you'll have an awfully hard time getting back to original.

• 4. Re: Title Case to UPPERCASE
                schnook

Sorry took so long to reply, thanks PhilModJunk for your input have tried it on a copy of the data base and it worked fine, thanks again

Regards schnook

• 5. Re: Title Case to UPPERCASE
                  MadeleinMoolman

Can anyone assist me with a script to change various fields to upper case if they are not entered correctly? I know how to do get them to display upper case but this then still exports the way it was entered. I also don't want to write a script to go field by field and replace it.